Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just bought my first bike over the weekend and am very excited to start riding (gone up and down the street some but can't get my permit till Friday so no more). I bough a yamaha maxim 700 that was fully restored (mechanically) by the previous owner and is in perfect running condition. Which would be the best section to post in as I am unsure about a few little things, currently looking for handlebar grips to be specific and I have no clue if it's possible to find a replacement starter switch (there's one taped to the bars right now). I got a good deal and want to put a few finishing touches on it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Hello everyone, I just bought my first bike over the weekend and am very excited to start riding (gone up and down the street some but can't get my permit till Friday so no more). I bough a yamaha maxim 700 that was fully restored (mechanically) by the previous owner and is in perfect running condition. Which would be the best section to post in as I am unsure about a few little things, currently looking for handlebar grips to be specific and I have no clue if it's possible to find a replacement starter switch (there's one taped to the bars right now). I got a good deal and want to put a few finishing touches on it.
When I bought my first motorcycle many years ago, I did three things:

A) I found a local Club that had folks in it who knew motorcycles.
This meant that I would have a network of nearby riders to
become friends with, in order to learn from them, and get a hand
with the stuff I needed to understand or learn.

B) I did a little research, and found a local mechanic who specializes
in motorcycle repairs of my type of bike. His schedule may be
a bit tighter than a Dealership (for "Service") but his prices are
fair, and he comes highly recommended and does good work.

C) I joined a Forum or two (like you did here) to get feedback like
you are doing.

You'll be able to get whatever you need for your bike, thru a variety of locations like "BikeBandit.com" and "JPCycles.com" and places like that.
If nothing else, you can call their Customer Service folks and explain what you are looking for, and they will work WITH you to find what you need.

Going down and bouncing ideas off that local motorcycle mechanic that you find, is another great way of "putting a face" on the feasibility of what you want to do to your bike. If the "mechanic" that you found is ANY sort of honorable character, he/she will tell you straight up if your idea is a good one, a bad one, do-able or not........

For example, with regard to your Starter Switch. If it was MY bike, I'd be looking to put it back to "factory" condition as best as my budget will allow.
"I'd" be looking into Service Manuals (and YouTube videos) for my particular bike, to see if I can figure out where the Starter Switch USED to live (if there was one) and what it would take to get the bike back to "original."

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You could also put a hidden starter switch somewhere, like under the side of the gas tank, to make it harder to steal your scoot. You can buy weather-proof switches at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, the starter was on the right handle's control area with the kill switch so it has an open hole now, but finding something to fit might be an issue, now I'm thinking relocating the current one to a sneaky spot might be cool, but I'd like to check some others as you have to pull it out then close it and I'd prefer one you push then let go.

My uncle does all the work he can on his and his wife's bikes and will aid me, he just has a busy schedule.

So now any grips will work? I know that they have to fit the tube, but is there anything else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Novice Help

Hello, I have found an old Kawasaki motorcycle and want to get it running. Problem is I know nothing about motorcycles and need information how to troubleshoot from the beginning. A step by step perhaps. Any ideas out there that could at least get me started? Thanks, Coleman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't need the solenoid and the rest I saw were the full throttle and assemble which I can live with hiding what's there before I'll spend 40+

1 - 9 of 9 Posts