Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My name is John and I am from Burlington, Ontario and I wanted to join this forum to get some input on my next bike. I am not new to riding but have taken a 20yr break from it. My first bike was a 1982 GPz550, then I had a CBR600. Like a lot of people when I started having kiddies I stopped riding due to time and not having anyone to ride with as they were doing the same as me.

Now fast forward 20yrs and my girls are now 17 & 20 one in University and one going to University next year - both playing varsity rugby. I am looking for a new bike and I am all over the map. I want one that will not bore me and possibly 2 up on for short rides or around town.

Thansk - John

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Welcome John, from Pennsylvania, USA.
A lot of us took a short hiatus from riding, mine was only 30 years. :)
First off you need o decide which type of bike you want to ride, when I stopped I was riding a UJM, when I got back I got into cruisers.
Do you want to ride a sport bike, or a standard, or a touring bike? You will be very rusty at first but your skills will come back quickly, but it's still probably best not to jump right back on a superbike or you might not survive till your skills return :) .
There is something to be said for buying a mid sized, somewhat beat up, pre owned bike to return on, then move onto what you really want as a second bike this time around.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome from NY. I've taken a few breaks from riding through the years but nothing approaching 30 yrs. I've taken just a few years off here and there. Does it seam to come back to you pretty quickly after being off a bike for that long?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

Even though riding might seem old hat to you, I would
still suggest you take a motorcycle safety course. They
will help you tremendously and possibly keep you from
picking up old bad habits. It really is amazing how many
have bad habits from being self taught or their neighbor
taught them. And it really is more dangerous now than it
was 20 years ago. So do yourself a big favor and get
started off on the right foot...again.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Boredom is somewhat subjective. I found my 250c bike a lot of fun to ride, but wasn't particularly fast. Welcome.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Just remember....It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.
Welcome to the forum!

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
.It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.
And you'll learn more learning how to ride that slow bike as fast as it will go through every curve you encounter. Anyone(?) can ride that fast bike straight.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Welcome aboard and ditto on the smaller bike. I took 25 years off and came back on a 650 twin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi John. My name is Neil and I am also from Burlington Ontario and just went through the exact situation you did. I ended on a Yamaha fzr 600 20 years ago and still wanted the thrill of a supersport but could not afford the insurance (as you and I know that Ontario's rates are 200% higher than anywhere) and it sickened me to hear the ins would be more than the bike. I can't justify that. I just bought a 2014 Yamaha fz6r. It looks raceready and it's considered a sport cruiser by insurance company so it only cost me 98$ monthly with my M2 license. Mind you, it's not a cbr600!! A little less power but still lots of fun.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,488 Posts
Welcome from Kansas!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Welcome Neil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts