Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've never owned or ridden a motorcycle, but I'm interested. I'm aware that I know pretty much nothing about motorcycles, so I'm mainly here to listen. I'll do everything in my power to not ask stupid questions. Thank you for your patience.

I'm 32 and back in school at the moment (biochemistry, neuroscience) I spend way too much time reading books, scientific papers etc. Something more kinesthetic is sorely needed - a motorcycle could be just right.

I'm certain that everyone on here knows much that I don't. Thank you for your time.

Dan.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Plan a 2 year learning curve to learn to SAFELY, competently ride, own, purchase, maintain....a motorcycle. To speak the language. To know one bike from another.

For example, you don't patch or repair motorcycle tires; you replace them. Bet ya didn't know that, didja? Do you know what splitting or filtering is?

Key step is to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation weekend class before you do ANYTHING, including MC purchase.

Next have someone who knows a LOT about motorcycles help you pick out a good, USED, FIRST motorcycle -- to LEARN on. And it's probably 'NOT your dream bike whether that's a crotch rocket, a Harley, a touring bike, or just an around-town cruiser, or even a scooter!

It's a bike that will help you learn FASTER than you will on your eventual "dream bike."

Time on this forum will indeed help you realize just what all the issues are you need to learn about.

But most of all, WELCOME! I just had one of the greatest days of my entire LIFE today riding THIS: Salt River Canyon in Arizona... CLICK on images to ENLARGE to where you can see the switchbacks...

http://imgur.com/gallery/5S0Ai

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,838 Posts
Welcome aboard. Look around read the various sections and if you still think it is something you want to do, the sign up for the Basic Riders Course (BRC) offered in your state

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
There are going to be times when you may see a variety of groups out there, riding to who knows where. You may be tempted to want to ride with those (or other) groups.

Nothing wrong with finding a local "Club" that has a reasonably good reputation (rather than hanging out with those "other" groups that are constantly in the news for clashes with police, for example) to be part of. Lots of good stuff is accomplished for MDA, MS, and other things, on the part of Clubs, and you get the plus of instant feedback by other riders, (networking).

Most "Clubs" will have rides scheduled, for you to participate in if you want.

-Soupy

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome from Carlos,Tx. Riding is the only thing that keeps me sane,take the BRC and you will probably figure out in one weekend if this is for you,good luck in your quest.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Hi, I've never owned or ridden a motorcycle, but I'm interested. I'm aware that I know pretty much nothing about motorcycles, so I'm mainly here to listen. I'll do everything in my power to not ask stupid questions. Thank you for your patience.

I'm 32 and back in school at the moment (biochemistry, neuroscience) I spend way too much time reading books, scientific papers etc. Something more kinesthetic is sorely needed - a motorcycle could be just right.

I'm certain that everyone on here knows much that I don't. Thank you for your time.

Dan.
I used that excuse quite a while be4 someone caught on.....LOL

·
Registered
304 Posts
You'r exactly where I was 2 years ago. Never thought of even looking at a motorcycle until I took the MSF out of boredom. Definitely do that 1st.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan from Md. Take the BRC and you will be hooked for life. I just turned 50 and I was in your shoes 6 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I say go for it.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Hi Dan. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

If you're going to become a biker you've got to start using smaller words or else you'll be stuck riding Beemers! ;)

Glad to have you aboard.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find some of the info you are looking for. The BRC is the best place to start. It will help you decide if it is something you want to pursue. Be fore warned though, it is very addicting!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
College is a great reason to own a bike. I used a motorcycle to get to class and we could ride around campus and park when cagers had to park off campus and bus in. So depending on where you study, there is a practical aspect. My advice is get something light and low power to learn on. You will have a lot of fun and gain a lot of utility. Lots of people miss the sheer utility of a light motorcycle. It's not all about speed and power. I would love to have my SRX250 again. Can't believe I sold it to the ice cream man!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts