Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. Came across this forum when looking for something not bike specific. So I'm trying to decide between two bikes - a new BMW K1600 GTL or a Honda GoldWing. Let me give you a little history...

This past late July my 2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive was totaled when some clown pulled a left turn right on front of me. Now I ride with my wife 90% of the time, and unfortunately she was with me when the accident occurred. We're both recovering nicely though. Anyway, I also had an accident several years ago on my then BMW R1100 RT, due to some young gal running a stop sign, which totaled that bike as well. So... my wife is a but hesitant about getting on a bike again, so she says, but I'm pretty sure she will once she's fully recovered.

I'm going to hold out on a purchase until we check out the Long Beach Motorcycle Show next month (yes, she wants to come with me to that). But my choices are the GW or GTL. I loved everything about my previous GTL except for two things:
- The bike's Bluetooth would constantly dropout when a passenger was onboard, but no issue when riding solo. Had the software updated on both the bike and headsets (started with the BMW com units, then switched to the Sena 20S units), to no avail.
- The Exclusive's passenger section was so slippery the wife would always slide forward when I braked. It appears the 2015 Exclusive now has some texture to it to help prevent that sliding.

Other than the two issues above (which drove me crazy (as again my wife's with me 90% when riding), I loved that bike - the power and handling for a bike that size made it seem almost like a big sport bike. But as I get older, I'm now 57 and don't bounce as well, I'm not looking to drag knee or always be the guy at the front of the pack. Though I still enjoy riding the twisties a lot! :)

So I'm looking at the GoldWing as another option, although I still haven't actually ridden one yet. But the GW's intercom and audio systems seem to be well worked out, and having CB as a bike to bike option is a plus IMO.

So I'm basically trying to ask if a new GW would work for me based on what I described above? I know it doesn't quite have the cornering capability of the GTL, but seems to have most everything else. Though lack of an electric windshield and Bluetooth, is a negative, I wouldn't mind being corded for intercom if it's reliable. And I can always wait for a stop to make and receive phone calls. Though having those on the GTL was a plus - when the Bluetooth worked.

So that's my dilemma right now in trying to choose between these two bikes. I guess it'll all come down to what the wife thinks after we attend the motorcycle show next month!

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, Bluetooth sucks. I know they are all going to it but it just has too many bugs they are wanting customers to work around. But forget that. Get the bike that feels right to you and wife. Then deal with the problems of communication later. There are some work arounds. I'll be having the same problem with just about any bike I get from here on out because the dang manufacturers are all sold on this Bluetooth junk. And I don't care how many claim it works. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. And.....

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Though lack of an electric windshield and Bluetooth, is a negative,
There are aftermarket options available for Bluetooth and electric windshields on the Goldwing. Here's one the the electric windshields available:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jk0uENab9Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_ergomot_electric_windshield_kit/120/214984

Both the Honda and BMW are great bikes. Most reviews I've read give the Goldwing the edge in passenger comfort and the GTL wins for performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are aftermarket options available for Bluetooth and electric windshields on the Goldwing.
Yes, I've seen one of those electric windshield options, and it's not cheap. After spending almost 30k on a bike, I really don't want to initially put a lot of $$$$ into it. And I still haven't seen any GoldWing options that also allow for passenger cellphone capability.

But I'll be discussing it all with the wife and see what she thinks is best to have. Looks like it'll be a choice between comfort and technology. I also really want to see what the new colors on these bikes look like as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts