Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might take a bit but I will try to be brief as well. My name is Dennis and I live in Merrimack, New Hampshire and have been riding for the past 59 years. I am 76 years young and, so long as I am able to ride, that will help me to remain young. I started riding in 1961 (Brand New Triumph TR6) and my wife (71) and I continue to ride to this day on a (2010 Honda Interstate VTC1300). Since my other hobby was riding horses since 1963, I have vintage riding stuff from those years and continue to ride vintage as a preference (i.e. riding breeches, boots and (of course) as much protection as is comfortable as well). The wife and I are fully communication rigged and, with 6 months of cold and snow, still are able to put 12,000 to 15,000 miles on the bike each riding season. Hope that helps to know about me/us and look forward to building friendships on this forum going forward.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Welcome, Dennis! So many new people come here just looking for a quick answer to a vexing problem and then never come back. It's nice to hear somebody say they're wanting to stick around and make friends!

A little over a year ago I returned to riding after taking 29 years off. What I've learned from others on this forum has been invaluable to me, maybe even life saving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, Roger. Thanks for your welcoming message. Until I found this forum (yesterday), I have reticent to posting info about my riding history but thought that would be a good time to do so. Good to hear from you and your renewed interest in riding. It's a great hobby that allows me to shake off the cobwebs that can build, especially when retirement sets in. A bit of history, if you have time. My dad rode his first MC in the early 1930s. Brother has a photo of him plowing through a boarded up wall of flames when he lived in Manchester (mid 30s). My older brother then rode in the late 50s until last year. His bike was a limited edition Ducati. I am carrying on the tradition now and intend to do so until my health gets in the way. I have many photos that I can share but must go through the archives. More to come. I look forward to further comms and the upcoming riding season. Best.

·
American Legion Rider
21,729 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

Our regular members do like to know they are welcoming a real person.
Unfortunately there are spambots that also try to pose as real people so
this site does have spambot control. So thanks for your introduction.
We are friendly site here. Well, most of us

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,109 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse Dennis, there are a lot of us old farts here. I started riding in the 60's as well and then quit in the late 80's when I retired from the Navy. Started again in 13.

·
On The Road Again!
3,383 Posts
Welcome Dennis, from northern New Jersey!
Boy, you've been riding even longer than me.
I got started in 1968. Been through about 15
bikes over the years and now riding a '99 Goldwing.
And just remember....
People don't stop riding because they get old.
They get old because they stop riding!

Reactions: DRAWS

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. I didn't start riding until '69 or '70. My first scooter was a '50 something Cushman Eagle dad rescued from a salvage yard.

We don't get as much snow as you do, but we got it right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear that there are others, at the senior's level, who have a need to break away from the every day constraints of life. Being categorized as seniors and get a final run at the blessings enjoying a world many of us have taken for granted, while raising families, acquiring "things/stuff" and holding down jobs. Wife and I now realize that our blessings now come from being able to fellowship and re-establishing the connections that were set aside getting to this stage in life. Enjoy it while it lasts, good sir, hoping that our final years are spent preparing for what's to come next, either eternal enjoyment with our creator or "otherwise". After all, we seniors still have hope, don't we?????

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Gidday from a small Island in the Salish Sea.
My dad rode a 16H Norton in London in the thirties. I also got my license to thrill in 1961. I was 15.
Met a guy the other day who bought a 74 Triumph and still has it. My Triumph is a 96 Trophy 900.

UK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gidday, good sir. Hope you're enjoying your winter. Yes, the Triumph was a great machine. Got many good years on it before deciding to marry and have a family. Better now that the children are all growdup. :)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I remember sitting in a fast food place with my wife looking at the receipt. I said to her "I wonder why they gave me a discount?" She said it's a senior discount. Trouble was I wasn't a senior yet. :LOL:

Its payback time for those years I bought beer before I was 21. Looking older than I actually is, ah, are,...am, whatever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This might take a bit but I will try to be brief as well. My name is Dennis and I live in Merrimack, New Hampshire and have been riding for the past 59 years. I am 76 years young and, so long as I am able to ride, that will help me to remain young. I started riding in 1961 (Brand New Triumph TR6) and my wife (71) and I continue to ride to this day on a (2010 Honda Interstate VTC1300). Since my other hobby was riding horses since 1963, I have vintage riding stuff from those years and continue to ride vintage as a preference (i.e. riding breeches, boots and (of course) as much protection as is comfortable as well). The wife and I are fully communication rigged and, with 6 months of cold and snow, still are able to put 12,000 to 15,000 miles on the bike each riding season. Hope that helps to know about me/us and look forward to building friendships on this forum going forward.
Welcome from the great state of Louisiana, Dennis! Geaux Tigers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Dennis I’m a new rider less than a year 65 year old kid in Mid Maine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts