Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Jason here from Cleveland (West Side), and returning to biking after nearly 20 years of inactivity. Rode around a lot in high school and some in college, then as life took me in other directions, I never really maintained my activity.

Recently I've been wanting to get back into it and have gotten my temps, and am taking a Basic Rider Safety class (signed up for this coming Thursday - Sun, very excited). From there I will be renting bikes for a day or two here and there to test ride some out and find the one that best fits my needs, comfort, and style.

My brother is a big biker, and he's been helpful with a lot of insider tips too, but I always like to learn as much as possible from any source available. Seen a couple different forums and this one looks intriguing - ads are not in your face, and posting seems fairly straightforward. So, anyway, that's the skinny on me - hopefully will be around more often!

:)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Welcome from CT. I'm new to biking myself, already fell in love with it. This is a very interesting group of people to say the least. They have been very helpful to me. When I took my BRC, I was having trouble with the dratting Figure 8. Damn, I hated that box. They all gave me so much encouraging words, that I actually did well with it, well, I actually twerked the trottle at the end and sliped outside the box, but oh well, I can do u-turns now so what's it matter....Don't let the box get you, it's really not the most important part of the test anyways.

They can be brutally honest here, especially with new riders wanting to buy big bikes, but the good riders know that you gain more knowledge starting small and working your way up. That's my plan of action.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the max I am willing to go is a V-Star 650. I tried sitting on a Ninja 500 while the size felt about right, I didn't like how low I was crouched. When I sat on another Ninja (350 I think) it was more upright and felt about right. Then, the one dealer had me set on a 250 and it felt like a moped. So, I do think I need to be in the 350-650 range. More tk in that vein...

My primary focus is getting the right safety gear (boots, helmet, gloves, jacket, etc.) that will keep me protected and safe no matter what bike I end up on. The helmet is my one sticking point as I'd really rather buy one than getting a cheap one, and upgrading later, but I do need one soon for the BRS class...

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You will find there are a lot of us here that rode at younger ages and then got back into it later in life. I was 51 when my husband and I got back into riding. Now we both wonder why we ever stopped. :D

Glad to hear that you are taking the BRC. It is a great tool to get that confidence back. As far as helmets, go try some on. They need to be DOT approved, but they also need to fit correctly and not hurt after wearing them for a while.

Good Luck and glad you for the Forum.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The BRC I attended provided helmets. But it is always best to find one that fits "you" correctly. A loose fitting helmet has zero protection, IMO. Before I started riding myself, I was never a fan of helmets. Always rode on the back without one. Now that I'm riding myself, I feel more comfortable with a helmet on. I got picked on by my buddies at first, but I told them if my helmet drives them crazy, they know where the door is....they still here...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Check out cyclegear. They have two locations in Cleveland. You can get a new helmet for 50 bucks. You can always use it later as a secondary helmet if you decide to upgrade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Helmet and gloves purchased (Bilt Apollo - Pilot style). I also have my boots (Xelement from LeatherUp - although I have to exchange them for half a size smaller...my ankle started chaffing from the loose fit after an hour or two of wearing them at the office).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished it (and passed!) today...much more draining than I had anticipated, but a good tired if that makes sense.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I too remember how drained I was after the class. That's one of the reasons I normally tell folks to make sure and get a good night's sleep the night before they start the class.

Congratulations to you!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Your class went from your 18th to your 60th birthday? Long class!

;)
Nope. Class was only 3 days but yes I had been riding that long. It was just my first time in any riding class.
When I started riding a driver's license was all that was required. I bought my first bike off a used car lot and rode it home with no instruction, all perfectly legal. I was in California when they started having MC endorsements and I, like so many other riders, had to take an almost trivial test to get a class M endorsement. It was new to us so we were all nervous about it but it was a piece of cake. Ride along a straight line in a lane about 5 feet wide for maybe 75 feet and do a double circle, 720 degrees, inside some painted lines at the end then ride back to the starting point. That was about it. You did need to demonstrate that you could shift the bike into second but the 75 feet made that almost inevitable. Only the guys who showed up riding chopped bikes with extended springer front ends had any trouble with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts