Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi I am a newbe here, i bought a cb 750 c 1982 model about 6 months ago, i was told it was a complete bike just not all together, i have been putting it back together over the last few months and am still happy with the purchase (although it was sold to me as a 900cc) i paid hardly anything for it so not too stressed.
I have arrived at a point where i have the bike running but not running very well, so i am hoping to get some advice on this site and make some friends and hopefully have my bike up and running properly soon

so far i have pulled the carbs off and cleaned them inside and out, i searched online about this and learned quite a bit about carbs in the process, i also managed to (stupidly) connect jumper leads the wrong way around one evening while trying to start the bike and managed to fry the regulator and some of the wires in the harness so next i removed the entire harness and checked each wire for continuity and replaced the damaged ones, then put the whole harness back on and everything seems to be working okay, while the harness was off i stripped off the carbs, tank, seat, and all the chrome bits and cleaned up and resprayed the chassis and engine using a high heat, rust resistant matt black spray paint. (the engine was already badly sprayed with black) one day id like to get the engine sandblasted and cleaned back to the aluminium (the exhaust is a 4 into 2 with a black enamel) after that i stripped and rebuilt the front brakes and fitted new pads, fitted bar end mirrors and sprayed the tank and side panel in a gloss black, im saving up to have it either vinyl wrapped or professionally resprayed in the future,
i am still looking for a regulator/rectifier, at the moment i can only ride as long as the battery has a charge,

the problem i am having now though is that she is only firing on two cylinders,(all new plugs and leads) 1 & 4 from the left coil are firing fine but 2 & 3 are not firing, ive checked that there is spark, and there is, although when i checked the plugs by taking them out and plugging them in to the lead boot and grounding on engine then swinging the motor, what happened initially was that the spark jumped to ground from the body of the plug instead of at the end where its meant to, then i pulled off the coils again and checked all the wires and found the positive and negative wires were on the wrong way around so i corrected that and reconnected everything and tested the plug and this time the spark was in the correct place at the end of the plug, although when running the bike she still only fires on 1 & 4 and not 3 & 4.
any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am impressed by anybody who will take a pile of parts and turning into a functional machine - even if you still have a little way to go. Well done. I hope people can help you out and get if finished!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello from New Hampshire! Sounds like we are in very similar situations. I'm new to the scene, I bought a 1980 CB650 for hardly anything as well, which I'm currently working on. Hoping to get it roadworthy after a few parts come in.
Are you going for a restoration or do you have plans to modify in the future?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am building her as stock as possible just to get her running properly and then have hopes to turn her into something more personalized

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's exactly what I'm doing, focusing on getting her on the road while I can then during the deep New Hampshire winter I'm looking to get some other stuff done, keep us updated with the progress!
Wish I could help but I haven't even gotten to trying to start her up yet. We'll see

·
American Legion Rider
25,919 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.(well a lot in this case):smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

I'm impressed. Hope you get the bike you picture in your mind. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts