Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so I'm in the process of purchasing a 1989 Suzuki intruder 1400 bike has low miles around 8k it currently doesn't run carbs need cleaning but I'm getting it for 800 bucks so I'm not gonna complain are there any major issues these bikes have? Anything I should look for and does anyone know. The compression or where it should be at so I can test it and make sure its worth buying thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You might want to check the availability of parts! How long has it been since it ran? since it was ridden regularly? condition of the inside of the gas tank?

Lots of things to check on a bike that old... if you are not mechanically inclined and patient, they can turn into money pits!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike only sat a few months ran when parked everything seems good now this isn't my first rodeo I built a 1980 Honda cm400 hardtail bobber and that bike sat 5 years so this hasn't sat nearly that long. I'm going to clean it up a bit and probably black most of it out its a good looking bike. I noticed in the pic my friend sent which is this one the exhaust looks a little discolored which kinda tells me it may have a carb issues. I cannot post pics of the bike at the moment tho

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily I'm a full time mechanic at a speed shop so getting it running and tuned should be an issue just not familiar with these bikes

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Smells fishy. That's around 300 miles a year for those 26 years. I wish you luck though and.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna go look at it today and see how it looks my friends dad owned it since new and didn't ride it much I've bought a few ATVs from him in the past and never had problems so it should be OK just gonna check simple things oil spark compression and what not and go from there. I wasn't sure if these bikes had any kinds of major issues only thing I don't like about the bike is that its a 4 SPD

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Look inside the tank to see how rusty it is. That will be a problem for a long time if you can't get it cleaned out.

A guy I ride with has two of them, one has 265,000+ miles on it. Looks like crap and sounds bad, but he doesn't hesitate to take it anywhere. He did buy a newer one because he wanted something dressy when we went on longer rides.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I went and looked at it in person and well its not to bad but the tank was left about 3 quarters full there is some nasty looking stuff in there sadly but there's a local radiator shop that can reseal and clean It for me. Brakes still work tires are newer no cracks oils clean it just needs a good cleaning and carb rebuild bother then that for 800 bucks I think its a good deal it has exactly 10075 miles on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gonna pull the trigger on it I can't find a 1400 or any intruder for under 1000 so I'm gonna jump on it and get her running apparently the older ones make 10 more horsepower then the 5 speed models so for 800 bucks I feel its worth it. Hopefully I can rebuild the carbs change the oil and fire this pig up before spring. Then start the major construction that will my new bobber. Which I don't plan on changing to much because it looks good as is

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Good luck brother and welcome to the site. My bet, from your description, is that you will spend more getting the tank clean than the discount you get by taking on that bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcomes luckily I happen to have a nice mustang tank I can make fit if I can get this one cleaned I used electrolsys on my Honda tank that sat way longer and it worked super well so going to attempt that method again and have it resealed if it turns out good. The tank was left 3/4 full so I'm hoping only a little bit of the upper portion is rusted. When I'm able to post pics I'll post some up of the tank and bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts