Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

the weight is a big question of mine since i'm big (fat)
i'm not talking the weight of the bike but the weight the bike can carry

I need info on that and it's a topic that needs a thread.

what is the max confortable weight a bike can carry either because you have a passenger or just because you are like me big, tall and fat.

i've been looking to buy my first bike saw 750cc, 800cc and 900cc that sell kinda cheap used.
but read here and there that 750 cc could be not enough for my weight 350lbs
but the max capacity on a shadow aero 750cc is a little over 400lbs but if i remember well max capacity on a shadow 1100 is around 415lbs not big difference there.

so there i've started this thread for answers and to see what you guys think

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Most bikes have a Max capacity. As long as you are at or under that you should be good to go. I have seen many bikes carry riders that weigh more than their "Max capacity" and they seemed to do fine. If the bike has air shocks you might need to play with that.

My husband and I have a combined weight of 480 lbs give or take a few. We used to ride 2 up on a Kaw Vulcan Nomad and it carried us and enough things for a 2 week trip. Now we ride a 2009 Victory Vision 2 up also with enough things for a 21 day trip. We've not had an issue of any kind with either except that we wanted more of the creature comfort so bought the Vision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks
the vulcan nomad is a 1500cc bike though this is more than twice the size of a 750cc shadow i know it does not mean a lot more HPs but still a 1500cc engine has way more torque than a 750cc bike

i really don't want to regret buying or trading for a bike that's not tough enough for me

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Well... as for carrying weight... Harley Davidson is the bike. The Jap bikes are great, but they aren't set up to handle a heavy load... Even the newer Victory and Indians are using jap suspension, as are the Harleys... But the Harleys DEMAND a more stiffer shock, capable of hauling heavier loads... IMHO...

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I was 325, and loaded down across the country on a Harley Heritage with no issues.

Since, I've lost quite a bit, put some back on, and lost again... sitting at 265 now, and the HD touring chassis is awesome.

·
7,494 Posts
Eddy, you conveniently left out how much you weigh so it's hard to give an accurate answer but as has already been said, all bikes have a plate or it is stamped on the frame somewhere, what the maximum carrying capacity is. You can be sure that to stave off litigation, that the figure is conservative.

All bikes/ scoots owners manuals also have all of that stuff in them.

GOOGLE your question.

I'm on my 78th motorcycle/ scooter and I'm 6ft-5in and 350+-lbs of solid corn fed table muscle and at that weight, I've owned and ridden everything from a Yamaha Zuma 125cc scooter to my recently sold 2012 Goldwing and none of my rides have ever lodged an official complaint:biggrin:

Any of the smaller bikes will probably accommodate your weight--unless you weigh 800 lbs and your wife/ girlfriend weighs the same and then I'd not ride double on the little Zuma:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Eddy, you conveniently left out how much you weigh so it's hard to give an accurate answer but as has already been said, all bikes have a plate or it is stamped on the frame somewhere, what the maximum carrying capacity is. You can be sure that to stave off litigation, that the figure is conservative.

^^^ :thumbsup:

The tag will have the "GVWR," as well as other info. The GVWR is the "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating," and that is the maximum allowable weight for bike, fuel and oil, riders, and anything else. You need to look up the actual dry weight for your bike, in the manual or on-line, and subtract that from the GVWR. That will tell you exactly how much your bike can safely take.

Next, look at your tires. They will have a load rating and you can find out what that means by comparing it to on-line tables. As a baseline, the tire's load rating should be at least half of the GVWR. But keep in mind too, that when you stop hard, you can get as much as 80% weight transfer to the front tire, so by that nature the front tire has to have a higher load rating.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
I've owned and ridden everything from a Yamaha Zuma 125cc scooter to my recently sold 2012 Goldwing and none of my rides have ever lodged an official complaint:biggrin:
I think that little Zuma was AFRAID to lodge that complaint! :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

All bikes/ scoots owners manuals also have all of that stuff in them.

GOOGLE your question.

I'm on my 78th motorcycle/ scooter and I'm 6ft-5in and 350+-lbs of solid corn fed table muscle and at that weight, I've owned and ridden everything from a Yamaha Zuma 125cc scooter to my recently sold 2012 Goldwing and none of my rides have ever lodged an official complaint:biggrin:

Any of the smaller bikes will probably accommodate your weight--unless you weigh 800 lbs and your wife/ girlfriend weighs the same and then I'd not ride double on the little Zuma:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

hehe yeah forgot to write my weight and height i'm almost like you
i'm 6'6" 350lbs.
guys at the bikes stores all told me a 750cc will drive me around but will lack power on the highway and on roads with lots of hill

i live in quebec the roads aren't great and there's alot of hills so i'll probably go with a shadow spirit 1100cc to get that little more power to haul my around

thanks for the answers

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Ok, you guys made me laugh!! We have a 50cc Zuma and it will haul Randy and I 2up. It may get down to 7mph going uphill but it does 30mph on a flat road.

We take it with us camping and use it to ride back & forth to the shower houses, boat dock and where ever else we need to go. The showers and boat docks are normally quite a distance from the campsite's. Little Blue doesn't rebel, scream at us or tell us how wrong it looks for him to be hauling both of us.

Eddy, I ride a 1985 yamaha Maxim 700. Randy can ride it and it carries him ok. If he were going to ride very far on an interstate, my bike could do it but he wouldn't be comfy at all. The bike is just small for guys your size.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I am also no light weight. I can ride almost any bike and be well within its limits but when I wanted a touring bike I found that only the American bikes had ratings that allowed me, my wife and luggage within their weight limits. The selection was pretty sparse with just Victory, HD and Indian to choose from. That means I had to pass over the Yamaha Venture and similar bikes from Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda. There are no Triumph dealers near me so I never seriously explored their product lines. There are other brands like Ducati out there but none carry touring bikes at my local dealers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks to everyone who replied

I spent some time today to sit on bikes that were in my price range and also talked to the guys at the bike store they all agree that i should not go less than 1000cc for my size and the roads around here

i also narrowed my bike choice alot, i sat on a vulcan classic 1500 and since they have floorboards my knees are really high and it's not really a good position.

felt more confortable on a shadow Ace 1100 but still it could be better so i'm trying to find a shadow spirit the foot pegs are further to the front of the bike i think it's gonna be the bike i'm gonna buy.

also sat on a Kawa mean streak it's ok it feels confortable

i'll post an update after i buy a bike

thanks again

C

·
0 Posts
thanks to everyone who replied

I spent some time today to sit on bikes that were in my price range and also talked to the guys at the bike store they all agree that i should not go less than 1000cc for my size and the roads around here

i also narrowed my bike choice alot, i sat on a vulcan classic 1500 and since they have floorboards my knees are really high and it's not really a good position.

felt more confortable on a shadow Ace 1100 but still it could be better so i'm trying to find a shadow spirit the foot pegs are further to the front of the bike i think it's gonna be the bike i'm gonna buy.

also sat on a Kawa mean streak it's ok it feels confortable

i'll post an update after i buy a bike

thanks again
The Shadow Spirit 1100 is a nice bike and would pull you along. I owned a 2006 model and it was a great bike. The only thing you have to think about with the Shadow 1100 is the gears. You have to be up to at least 55-65 MPH before shifting to 5th gear otherwise, it will chug on you. Unlike the Ace, Sabre, and others the Shadow 5th gear works kinda like an overdrive. Great for highway but not for in town riding. So keep that in mind before you purchase one. ;)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts