Motorcycle Forum banner

Heated grips vs. Gloves

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  theklu 
#1 ·
It's getting colder here in MI and I'm looking to continue riding until the ground starts to slick. That said, any opinions on heated grips vs. heated gloves? Which is the better investment for colder weather riding?

#4 ·
Gloves are better. I have both and if I could only pick one, gloves would be it. I also have a heated liner, and what's nice is that the liner sleeves have connections for the gloves, and you plug a dual controller into the liner, and the controller to the bike. You now have independent control of the gloves and liner without wires running up and down your sleeves. I use Gerbing's and have for over 10 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#5 ·
The gloves would be my first choice over grips. However, for long rides in cold weather, even gloves can be a problem. To keep the tops of you hands warm in the wind, you might have to turn the gloves on high where your hands then start to sweat which in turn makes your hands even colder. It becomes a no win situation. Cold weather riding is just plain tough. I wussed out yesterday at just 42º. I've decided I've had enough winter riding so don't have to prove a thing anymore.

#6 ·
I have non venter fall.winter.spring gloves I use down to the low 50*'s with heated grips. Below that I switch to heated gloves.

#9 ·
I like the Hippo Hands myself. There are many imitations out there if you don't care for the original.
They work, no doubt about it.
But....
I found that no matter how much I bundled up, my hands would still get cold.
The surprising cure for that was an electric vest. (What? you say?)
It seems that as long as the vest is keeping my core warm, my body is circulating warm blood to my arms and hands. Weird I know. But my hands stay much warmer while wearing the electric vest.

#10 ·
I'm going to try the Hippo-hands route with heated grips this winter myself. I'm hoping the grips will keep the whole inside portion warm but so far I've wussed out to try it. It's coming though. I just have to get it my head I'm riding one of these cold mornings.

#11 ·
Both is the best choice.

I love the grips because they are always there, always ready to use, and they really do work well on milder days and if my hands get wet and cold. A perfect example was yesterday riding home in 55F and an unexpected rain shower, my thin leather gloves got wet and cold and my hands were chilly. I turned on the grips and in 5 minutes my hands were warm and comfy. My heated seat helped with my wet jeans too.

In really cold weather, you can't beat heated gloves, and a heated jacket liner, but you have to plan ahead to have that with you and on under your outer layers.

#17 ·
My cold limit changes each year I get older. I now think I must have been stupid to ride in 15 degree weather but I did. And in freezing fog to boot. Ran into the fog, that wasn’t my choice.

#18 ·
I just road through freezing fog (scary) and light, very cold, rain in Washington last month. Then, woke up to 23 degrees. I wouldn't ride through that stuff for a day ride, but when you're out on the road for a week or more, sometimes you deal with what you deal with.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#19 ·
For the long cold rides I prefer heated gloves. I have Firstgear 12 volt gloves that are powered by the bike for the long rides and Gerbing cordless 7 volt rechargeable gloves that will keep my hands warm for 4+ hours.
The rechargeable gloves were expensive but have worked well for several years. They are nice! No wiring needed.

#22 ·
Oh do I ever hear you on that note. I’m freezing and she’s sweating. I’ll get her back once I start burning wood. I take pleasure in running her out then. :ROFLMAO:

#25 ·
While not nearly as cold, I’ve ridden throughout the winter in north Georgia. I can keep hands warm to freezing and use both heated gloves and heated grips. As was said, grips don’t heat tops of hands. At lower temps, my problem is cold feet. Insulated boots and two pairs of socks help. Plus, I don’t like to ride with temperature below freezing due to possible ice. I also have a heated jacket liner that I find indispensable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.