Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much warmer are heated gloves that hook up to the bike battery? I have 7V Tour Master heated gloves that have little batteries that plug into the gloves and my thumbs are FREEZING riding around in mid-20 degree weather. I also have Oxford Hot Hands heated wraps. These things get very hot but they don't help with my poor thumbs.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
I only have one bike with 12v heated grips. So all I can suggest is much warmer gloves. Mittens, and one finger gloves, are warmer than having 4 finger 1 thumb gloves. The snow mobile stores may have a better selection than the bike shops.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,516 Posts
I have 12v gloves and have to keep them on low. But I don't ride in 20 degree weather since to 60's. Mike721 does you might ask him. But he does have a full faring.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
I've ridden well below freezing and I'd say if you only have your thumbs freezing you are darn lucky. I have full fairing and 12v gloves AND heated grips and the thumb and fingers are always freezing anyway.

I did try something just a few days again after I received some rain over-gloves. I simply got tired of wet leather gloves. But I thought, if they will keep rain off and gloves dry, maybe they would keep the wind off that causes my hands to freeze anyway. It worked very well but it was only 35º and I wasn't using my heated gloves. But just regular gloves at that temperature I thought was very promising.

It's exposure to wind that gets to you so it would appear any thing you can do to stop that will work. I'd stick with your battery operated gloves because with those you'll be able to warm up some as you are away from the bike. With my 12v gloves, when I unplug I start getting cold fast. Can't take my power source with me where you can. You actually have the best. You just need to stop exposure to wind anyway you can.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
I have Fly Ignitor Heated Gloves with 7.4 Volts Lithium Light Weight Batteries Built in to the Gloves.. I am quite comfortable with them down to High 30's F .. Very Seldom ride below those Temps ..

·
Visionary
5,266 Posts
I have 2 pairs of 12 volt gloves, they get quite hot and behind a fairing they keep my hands warm as low as I've ridden, which was around 12 degrees for an hour and 20 minutes, without turning them all the way up. They do get HOT, especially the really heavy Cycle gear Sedici Hot ones, the California heat brand gloves I bought last year are less intense (but a much nicer glove for feel overall, those are the ones I use).

I used the Sedici gloves without a fairing in about 20 degrees and there was definitely a difference, my thumbs were cool (not cold, but not hot) after about an hour or so with them all the way up. I've never ridden colder than that without a fairing, but if I did I'd use the Sedici gloves.

I have 12v gloves and have to keep them on low. But I don't ride in 20 degree weather since to 60's. Mike721 does you might ask him. But he does have a full faring.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like I have to look into something that will cover the handlebars to block the wind. Either that or I'm gonna have to break down and buy a trickle charger.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
There are many options for ways to block the wind. Another option is something called Hippohands. The original is rather pricey but there are many off brands now that may work for you.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have both and use the 7v for short trips and 12v for longer rides. When it gets into the 30's or lower I put my glove rain covers over them to block the wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts