Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be stupidly obvious to experienced people on here but I'm a little new to motorcylcing and I noticed recently that there's a lot more heat on my left leg than the right. Is that from the chain? Does my R3 just blow more heat from the radiator past the left side?

I just cleaned and lubricated the chain so I would think it'd be in good shape now. Part of why I'm just now noticing it might be because I've always worn pants and usually with over pants over those, but I've been taking it out with just shorts and overpants lately so I feel the heat more. Also it's been hotter out. Anyways, I figured it's probably a total normal thing but I just got a little concerned that there might be something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Fuel injected motorcycle?
How hot is the fuel tank, particularly when the fuel level is low?

... keep more fuel in it, that's the only cooling for the fuel pump,
tank will be hottest where the fuel return discharge from the motor goes back into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
BMW K100RS was one of the first ever fuel injection bikes, they put a Huge pump inside the tank, that and fuel constantly flowing through the fuel rail right over the cylinders and in contact with the injectors. Fuel in the tank can get hot enough to boil real easy.
It is hottest on the right side of that tank ymmv.
Look inside the fuel tank when it is hot and still running, you might see turbulence in there on that side of the tank.

·
Ace Tuner
2,986 Posts
Does my R3 just blow more heat from the radiator past the left side?
Probably. ^

Never seen a drive chain get hot enough so that you could feel the heat from it while in the wind. (Or even standing next to it).

S F

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel injected motorcycle?
How hot is the fuel tank, particularly when the fuel level is low?

... keep more fuel in it, that's the only cooling for the fuel pump,
tank will be hottest where the fuel return discharge from the motor goes back into the fuel tank.
It's fuel injected but it's not the tank that feels hot, it's the air passing by my left lower leg

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
Never seen a drive chain get hot enough so that you could feel the heat from it while in the wind.
Nope, it is definitely not the chain. Pay attention to wind direction though. Especially crosswinds. It might be that when you rode it you simply had a crosswind coming from the right. I'm not at all familiar with the bike and fairing but look a what venting it has. You may have only one side open which could force all air to the left. But it could just be the radiator and for whatever reason, most of the fan wind current is going to the left. But I almost bet it was a crosswind.

·
Premium Member
9,157 Posts
The hottest part of a bike is the exhaust valve, then the header pipe, and on through the exhaust. You have not said where the pipe is located. If you look at all the bikes with high pipes, you will notice they have a shield covering the exhaust. My first suspect would be the exhaust, followed by the engine near the cylinder head. They are the hottest. The rear license place followed by the chain would not be suspects for me.
Old British would heat drops of oil on the cylinder head, that blew back to your legs at 40 plus. Exciting when wearing shorts. UK

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You can get a thermal imaging camera that plugs right onto your iPhone.

:LOL: getin all hi tech on you now

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,657 Posts
The finger is free🤭

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
You can get a thermal imaging camera that plugs right onto your iPhone.

:LOL: getin all hi tech on you now
Unfortunately that high tech stuff doesn't give you that physical sensory feeling that gets locked into your memory for future reference. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts