Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a tech head, and often an early adopter of new technology. I would love one of the new heads up display unit that universally fit full face helmets. Both Eyelights and NUVIZ offer a motorcycle head-up display with integrated navigation, communication, camera and music. They connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth.

The NUVIZ is the larger of the two, but comes with an inbuilt camera, however the Eyelights comes with microphone and speakers, and can be operated by voice command. Both use a small prism that displays a screen. Both are around the $700 but these price should drop over time.

VIDEO LINK

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would rather watch and feel where I am going, using the built in systems I came supplied with when new.

UK
Dang, you got a built in GPS? I do not recall that being an option in 1954 for my model?

I will pass on any future electronics to be implanted in me but I will take an unobtrusive HUD I can install in my helmet and transfer to another if my mood strikes me to go a different helment.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
It's called reading a map, and remembering how to get somewhere.:devil:
+1000 LOL!!!!
Nobody uses their brain anymore. They depend on expensive whiz-bang
technology to do everything for them, from remembering phone numbers
to navigation to safely riding the bike. (anti lock brakes, traction control, etc)
I have all of that right between my ears.
LOL!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's called reading a map, and remembering how to get somewhere.:devil:
They tend to blow away at 80 MPH and at best tend to flutter mightily.

Once I was taking a Pitts S1(open cockpit biplane) to it's new owner, the sectional chart got away and left me over New Mexico near Roswell with nothing but the sun and my whiskey compass. Pre-GPS, dead reckoning was a good skill to have, still is. But, none of this, or that, negates the advantages of a HUD display with GPS, speed, directions, interfaced with a phone and possibly an intercom system.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
They tend to blow away at 80 MPH and at best tend to flutter mightily.

Once I was taking a Pitts S1(open cockpit biplane) to it's new owner, the sectional chart got away and left me over New Mexico near Roswell with nothing but the sun and my whiskey compass. Pre-GPS, dead reckoning was a good skill to have, still is. But, none of this, or that, negates the advantages of a HUD display with GPS, speed, directions, interfaced with a phone and possibly an intercom system.
Yeah, charts used by pilots are way more complicated than a simple road map. Just commit the next hundred or so miles to memory, and put the map in the saddle bag or other storage, and go. Also, you only have two dimensions to worry about, and your speedo is right in front of you. It is nice to have an intercom when riding with others; that's the most complicated thing I have in my helmet.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
It seems the most common cause of crashes these days, is distracted drivers.
So we try to fix the problem by creating more distraction. Bloody brilliant.

I have been riding for quite a long time. And raced in several different types of events. Even have the trophies to prove it.
I can not think of how any of the modern distractions, could have improved with any of my riding.
Better brakes engines and suspension are great.

UK

·
Registered
166 Posts
Actually the point of a HUD is that it removes distractions. This is sort of why the military uses them. This is one of them "proven" facts.

On a motorcycle, I can see my instrument display in the periphery of my vision but unfortunately at 64 yo that is below my glasses. So, I have to tilt my head down to read the panel and then shift my eyes up and down to get them in the correct trifocal lens, a HUD eliminates the need to do that. Maybe none of you have used a HUD, in other activities, but it is not distracting and it can be shut off or with a bit more technology, eye activated, look away, it goes away, look at it and it pops up.

And to addresses a point, memorizing a path or route, that does not work because the first time you need to deviate, construction, weather, traffic, change of plans because you just learned of a great new restaurant, just tap on the unit, request directions to Bud's Giant Raw Steak and Potato House Free For Motorcycles via secondary roads and oh, yeah, please route me around this traffic jam I am in and some moron in a pickup truck with balls hanging on him hitch is trying to run over you so you are a bit preoccupied looking for the next exit, uh, escape route!

Nobody is forcing one to use the technology, this is not like "Helmet Wars" and that ongoing debate. I am a vote for as long as I can unhook it.

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Actually the point of a HUD is that it removes distractions. This is sort of why the military uses them. This is one of them "proven" facts.
The point of a HUD in an aircraft is to put important info in front of the pilot, so he/she doesn't have to look down at all those instruments, hence Head Up Display. The act of looking down took eyes away from the more important stuff out the window. The distraction level is more or less the same. I worked at a fighter aircraft company when they were invented, BTW.

On a bike, you only have one important display, maybe two: speedo and tach, which can be read at a glance. And that read doesn't have to be all that accurate, just ROM.

As far as deviating from your route, it's no big deal to pull off. You were probably stopped when you heard of that restaurant, anyway. Still, nothing that requires it in your helmet.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
I like the last two posts above. Good info.

Policeman. Do you know how fast you were going? UK No. Pol. Why not? UK because I can not read the speedo without my glasses. Pol. Why not wear your glasses then. UK because then I can not see the road clearly, and I thought it would be more important to see where I was going.

In reality, if we travel at the same speed as the majority, we should be in the clear. Too, if the bike will not go any faster, we need to shift gears.

UK

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Yeah, charts used by pilots are way more complicated than a simple road map. Just commit the next hundred or so miles to memory, and put the map in the saddle bag or other storage, and go. Also, you only have two dimensions to worry about, and your speedo is right in front of you. It is nice to have an intercom when riding with others; that's the most complicated thing I have in my helmet.
Exactly. Use your memory. That's why God gave it to you.
Oh yeah....
The most complicated thing in my helmet is my head.
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Personally, I think this thing is great.

Have I a good sense of speed without reading the instruments? Yeah. Can I ride in traffic and go with the flow? Sure. But to have all the info right there floating in the middle distance? That would be awesome.

I like that it mounts separately to your helmet. Wouldn't want to sink all that money into one lid and be stuck with it forever.

If this type of tech goes mainstream and becomes affordable, I'm in. For now, at $700, it's a bit too much. But at half that price? I'll buy one.

Assuming it streams music. It does stream music, right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The point of a HUD in an aircraft is to put important info in front of the pilot, so he/she doesn't have to look down at all those instruments, hence Head Up Display. The act of looking down took eyes away from the more important stuff out the window. The distraction level is more or less the same. I worked at a fighter aircraft company when they were invented, BTW.

On a bike, you only have one important display, maybe two: speedo and tach, which can be read at a glance. And that read doesn't have to be all that accurate, just ROM.

As far as deviating from your route, it's no big deal to pull off. You were probably stopped when you heard of that restaurant, anyway. Still, nothing that requires it in your helmet.

Both as a pilot and an engineer and professional aviation employed myself, again, nobody is going to force a HUD on anyone, not anytime soon, certainly hope not. But, I cannot agree with your statement based on my personal and professional experience. A HUD is not a distraction, looking down is, as you state, wondering if one has missed a turn is as well and pulling off is not always possible or safe. A well designed HUD could be a useful tool, at least for me and I will leave it there, good day.

Is anti-helmet sentiments driving the anti-HUD? Just a curiosity.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
No, I have no anti helmet sentiments.
I have noticed that new riders report a lot more distractions when riding, than they had imagined. Wind noise and buffeting for instance. Possibly more than half the riders do not like the rain, which should count as a distraction, IMO.
Cages in close proximity is another distraction, so is the apprehension of passing a semi, especially in the rain. The apprehension of being rear ended, or of cages pulling out in front, are other distractions.
Not a good time to be looking at TV.

UK

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Both as a pilot and an engineer and professional aviation employed myself, again, nobody is going to force a HUD on anyone, not anytime soon, certainly hope not. But, I cannot agree with your statement based on my personal and professional experience. A HUD is not a distraction, looking down is, as you state, wondering if one has missed a turn is as well and pulling off is not always possible or safe. A well designed HUD could be a useful tool, at least for me and I will leave it there, good day.

Shifting your mental focus from out the window to take in other data is, however brief, a distraction. Probably more so to a fighter pilot to commercial or private pilots, though. Of course, looking down greatly increases the duration of that distraction. Over the years, as display technology improved, the data on the HUD improved too, from basic flight-critical information, to mission-specific data, enabling our pilots to maintain situational awareness while also focusing on the mission. Still, shifting attention from the target in front of you to read and comprehend airspeed, or some other info, could cause a delay in noticing a change in the target, like control surface deflections, so, it is still a distraction.

I never ride without a helmet, even around the block.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
When you are at the track, and having a good day, and it looks like you are going to place well, you quit looking at the distractions and focus on the job at hand, and you go faster. You become more in tune with the bike, using the systems you already had.
For some reason I just got a picture of a surfer looking at the HUD on his helmet. It just does not fit for me.

UK

·
Banned
4 Posts
groceries in the big panniers

Truth is, ADV bikes are just really good at most things. They are comfortable enough to tour, nimble enough to carve canyons, get groceries in the big panniers, and suspension to soak up bad road surfaces.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts