Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

what do you guys do for headphones for music while riding?

I've tried earbuds, but those always fall out immediately when I put the Helmet on.
If I somehow manage to keep them on with the helmet, then they fall out during the ride. No other headphones I've looked at are slim enough. My helmet fits pretty tight, and I think it's the cord thats getting pulled on when I'm putting my helmet on and ripping them out of my ears.

I've tried inserting wireless bluetooth speakers into my helmet, but those were uncomfortable for me too. Perhaps I need a slightly looser helmet, but my Helmet is more of a perfect fit in terms of safety.

Thanks guys, I'm sure some of you have some pretty awesome setups :)

(by the way, don't worry. I never have my music so loud that I can't hear the traffic around me)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I haven't picked up a helmet with bluetooth already setup in it yet. Considered it, but I like my current helmet. Perhaps when I'm ready for an upgrade.
I see, I was not aware it was illegal in some states.
Not sure if it's illegal in Arizona, however I do know that Cell phones are illegal while driving unless you have a headset/use speaker.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SharkMotorcycleAudio-shklxh1-Half-Face-Motorcycle-blackberry/dp/B0078QUUPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408699064&sr=8-1&keywords=helmet+speakers[/ame]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried that shark (bluetooth) version and it was too tight a fit/uncomfortable to me.
I might look into the other one though. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's illegal in OH:

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.
(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, "earphones" means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Cite as R.C. § 4511.84

History. Effective Date: 10-30-1989

Of course, if you are riding with a helmet on, how an LEO would be able to tell is up for discussion...I found a great resource that spells out the nuts and bolts of the laws for all the states here:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't listen to music but do use my phone's GPS. I have the same problem with ear buds falling out, even when I run. My old earphones that hooked over the ear died so I'm going to pick up these. They look like they may stay put under the helmet.

http://www.splashgear.co.uk/waterproof-earphones.php
Nice! Let me know how these work for you.
I've been thinking over the ear hooks like that for headphones was probably the only way I could go, but wasn't sure if they would start hurting (I know, I'm weird but headphones tend to hurt me)

Let me know how they work for you :)

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Often, some of the foam inside the helmet is removed to make room for the speakers. That way they don't hurt or interfere.
If you can, remove the liner and dig out space from the outside of the pad by your ear, when you put the padding is put back in the speakers are not in contact with your head... just a thought.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I used to use these at the gym. They don't fall out/off.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-AS20J-Active-Headphones-Hangers/dp/B0015AHRFK[/ame]

Yes, you can remove foam from the helmet liner to provide "pockets" for speakers.

The way I modify helmet liner foam is by putting a round burr in a drill press and then moving the helmet around the burr. Also works for re-sizing too-tight helmets...

A burr in a die grinder is like a wildcat, you can't control where it's gonna go.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Ive been thinking about this ... but mainly just for long distance rides on open roads (very little traffic). I wouldnt contemplate it around any city or town.

dT

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks cbjason, I live in Ohio so that is good to know.

Have used ear buds but, as stated by others, they tend to fall out.

I have been meaning to look into speakers or some such and have procrastinated. :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts