Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 01 HD ElectraGlide Classic with sidecar. It is an FLHTC/I Shrine. My problem is it has a 1988 sidecar. The 88 sidecar has a drum brake. I can find nothing on finding replacement parts, i.e., brake line (previous owner removed it and ran the bike without sidecar braking. Without access to all of the needed parts, is there a way to convert the drum brake to a newer disc brake, perhaps one that matches my bike, an 01?

Any and all discussion would be greatly appreciated.

American Legion Rider
It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 馃憤

Might require complete wheel replacement for the easiest way to change to disc.

Reactions: [email protected]

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently purchased an 01 HD ElectraGlide Classic with sidecar. It is an FLHTC/I Shrine. My problem is it has a 1988 sidecar. The 88 sidecar has a drum brake. I can find nothing on finding replacement parts, i.e., brake line (previous owner removed it and ran the bike without sidecar braking. Without access to all of the needed parts, is there a way to convert the drum brake to a newer disc brake, perhaps one that matches my bike, an 01?

Any and all discussion would be greatly appreciated.

I didn鈥檛 realize when I made this purchase that parts for the side hack are completely unavailable or discontinued. I鈥檓 fairly competent with MC repairs, nothing extravagant, but I can鈥檛 build a brake line, find drum pads or turn a drum. I鈥檝e checked local stores HD won鈥檛 touch it and local brake shops completely refuse work on bikes.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciatrd.

Premium Member
Run a cable from the brake pedal to the drum brake on the car. Laminate new pads to the packing plates. If you can not synchronize the bike back brake, with the car back brake, install another brake pedal. The short lever arm can have different lengths. I am saying this because I do not know what brake system you have on your bike.
My Yamaha has three discs, and I do not have a brake on the side car. I have more than enough giddy up and braking.
It pulls left and right, but I do not care. It steers to hard, but I do not care. We can blast down the highway loaded, at a decent speed, and we go straight, so all is sweet for me. Sometimes loaded means more than 350 pounds. UK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts