Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any difficulties with the Harley Davidson service contracts? These are the deals where, when you buy your bike, they sell you a contract for the first three maintenance intervals. You pay ahead of time, less than the services would cost if paid individually. The only downside seems to be that the contract expires in 36 months and, if you don't hit 10k miles in that time, you won't have gotten your money out of the deal.

Well, confident that I would ride about 1k per month (which turned out to be accurate), I bought the service contract. Got the 500 mile and 5,000 mile services no problem. Then, on a day when I was going to the dealer for unrelated reasons, I got a call from the service manager. He said I didn't have a service contract.

Luckily I keep records. I went to the bike folder, pulled out the original contract, and took it over to the dealer. They were perplexed but agreed that yes, I do have a service contract.

It seems HD dealers contract with a third party company that issues these contracts and hopes people don't use them. Like insurance, sort of. That company "lost" all record of my contract. They denied such a contract existed even when the service guy called them and read the contract number off of my document.

I informed the service manager that I was sorry to learn that he had not been paid for the services done on the motorcycle, and that I sincerely hope that the confusion is easily resolved. However, the dealership's relationship with the third party vendor has nothing to do with the dealership's relationship with me. I have a service contract with Harley Davidson, I can prove it, and I will be back in a few weeks expecting a 10k service per the terms of the contract. I probably will then buy another one!

The dealer people were super nice, and even though the service manager totally agreed that I had the contract and would get full service, he also seemed very concerned about the issue and spent a lot of time on the phone with a lady from the third party contract company. It did not appear that any sketchy stuff was going on with the HD team. As for the contract vendor? Hmmm.

All of this made me wonder, is this an area of commerce with frequent problems? What if I had not had the original hard copy with the dealer's own signature and a record of payment? Has this happened to others?

We have a similar deal with my wife's BMW. Now feeling a tad nervous about getting the work done when the time comes. What if they use the same absent minded third party vendor?!? :surprise:

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I never trust third party contracts. They have little incentive to live up to their end of the deal. Let me tell you a short story.

I am in heating and cooling. When I started my career I did some residential (I do industrial work now). The company I worked for signed on to be an "authorized" contractor for a third party home warranty company. One of those you see on TV where if your furnace goes out, you supposedly pay nothing. Yeah. Well they gave us a very strict list of what was covered and what was not, and what costs extra, etc. It seems that only the rarest of failures were covered. All the common things that would normally happen to a furnace or an AC system were not covered or were only covered with an extra deductible payment, often more expensive than if they just hired us directly. It was in the fine print that most homeowners would not read.

In the end we told that company to shove it up there.....butt. All the thing did was give our company a bad name, since our trucks were the ones they saw in their driveway when we were giving them the bad news that they owed us money. They saw us as the scammers, and not the warranty company that hired us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts