Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed and passed my HD motorcycle safety beginners course. I’m just gonna write a review and tell my experiences in it. So first off it costs 300$ for four days. The first two days are spent in a class room, it took about 3.5 hours the first two days. The last two days are on the range and those days were about 5.5 hours, I think that our class, because it was a small class actually went by faster than most. We entered with a class of 8. The two rider coaches were knowledgeable and friendly. The first two days that we spent learning stuff that is found easily accessible online which I had already learned, honestly. The range days I learned some techniques that were pretty valuable in maneuvering in small parking lots and tight corners etc. the truth is...this class gets you familiar with a motorcycle, it helps very little in actually riding in traffic and uncontrolled scenarios but there is value in what they’re teaching, lots in fact because riding a bike slowly is harder than riding one fast...especially in a straight line! Lol. So they give you tests and if you pass you’re allowed to go to range day, after range day they give you a quick and simple (or not) physical course where you are graded on your performance. If you pass this you are then given a certificate and card along with various coupons. All in all it’s really a good package deal for the money as once the certificate is shown to your local DMV you immediately get your Moto endorsement. After that show the endorsement and the card to your insurance companies and that drops your insurance rates. So just that is worth the money add in the coupons they give you and it’s a sweet deal plus sometimes there are cute sales chicks on the floor haha. More to that story lol. Anyways, the things that I didn’t like... Harley Davidson is an awesome company, super cool place to hang out, they are huge on their sales and to me personally, all the HD logo and sales pitch is extremely over done. It’s so cliche at times I feel like I’m literally joining a high school club every time I walk in but I’m the oddball that doesn’t own a Harley or an infinite amount of HD logos. (Sorry Harley fans! Love Harley but it’s not for me!)Second thing I didn’t like was the bikes that we rode on, the lowest of the low end Harley edition whatever...I ride a Honda CB650F, it’s a naked bike. I sit up knees bent. I feel in the zone. Riding that low end Harley was really uncomfortable at first, I did get used to it but even the instructor said it shifted like dog **** and I had a lot of play in my throttle that made U turns and keeping my RPMs up uncomfortable for me. Also the rear brake has too much play as well. I kept trying to get into second and ended up hitting neutral instead. Overall I think the course was worth it and I may consider doing the intermediate course in a year or so, maybe...I probably won’t cause it won’t cut my insurance anymore lol but if I have spare money perhaps I will.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
The course is designed to get you familiar with a motorcycle. It teaches you how to ride in an empty parking lot slowly.

But it does give you a place to start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was aware of that fact before I took it and it was helpful in learning a few things such as really tight, slow U turns. I think I benefitted the most of that as the rest of it was simple and easy enough. It does get you more comfortable on a motorcycle than it would by yourself because you have people watching and telling you what you’re doing wrong. I’m also going to experiment with riding the rear break while feathering the clutch and giving it some throttle. The coach mentioned this technique but said they don’t actually teach it. I didn’t feel comfortable trying it on their bikes as the play in my throttle made me nervous. I was constantly scared of grabbing too much and I was constantly underwhelmed when I tweaked it to not even get a little growl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts