Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone -

Searching for some opinions and input on a Harley I'm looking at buying. I have my eye on 2 bikes - a 2017 breakout and a 2018. The 2018(M8 114) is brand new, and a great price. However I really like the look and the customization of the 2017 I'm looking at - also in the same price range. My question is for you guys that have happened to ride both is how much of a difference did you notice in the performance and torque between the 114 and 103 motors? In my bit of research it seems the consensus is its slightly noticeable(I believe HD says its 10% more torque) but not a reason to pick one over the other. Other drawback in the 2018 is 1.5g less of a tank(3.5 v 5.0). HD advertises the 2018 with 47mpg(doubt it) and wondering from you guys who have ridden the 2018 or newer how you view the smaller tank and stopping more. I should note I'm not a long distance rider -- mostly keep it in state and county/backroad riding. Thank you guys I really appreciate your time and thoughts!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've ridden neither -- between them engine size wouldn't sway me a lot, tank size might... Not too many red-line big V-twins, so a lot of high-end performance is left on the table anyway, torque is nice tho'... maybe more of an issue (for me) with tank capacity, but if you truly only ride locally that may not matter either... I've ridden cross-country with small tanks, and it gets old for me in a hurry -- especially in the middle of the night when you think you are on fumes, and half the pumps are closed...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts