Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some trouble with my 1984 Honda XL600r, Last week I was driving down a dirt road going 60 or so, when my bike suddenly turned shut off and my back tire locked. After slowing down a little bit, I managed to jump start it again and continue on with my trip. About 250-300 yards down the road it shuts off once again, but this time the tire didn't lock. After inspecting it a little big, I found that my compression in the engine was very low and I was able to push down the kick starter with my hand, with very little effort. However, when I do so the engine clicks a whole bunch. I had a friend say he had the same thing happen to him, and that it was a spark plug problem, after taking it out and putting a new spark plug in, I found that was not the solution to my problem. While the spark plug was out, I tried pushing down the kick starter and it blew air out of the whole where the spark plug goes, I believe meaning it still has compression. If this same problem has happened to you, and you were able to fix it or you know how, I would be thrilled if you would tell me. Thanks for your time.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Air coming from thr spark plug hole does mean you have compression. The question is how much, 1psi or 120psi ?
You need to perform a compression test with a gauge. Then let us know the results and someone here can probably help.
Also I believe that bike has a compression release valve to aid in starting. Make sure it is working properly before doing the test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts