Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up fellas? I dont post on here much, but I am a frequent visitor and read alot of the conversations.

So I currently ride a '12 V Rod, its nice, laid back, fast for a cruiser, but at one time I had a '12 Ninja ZX-10R.

I do miss having a sportbike. Im actually in the market for one, used off CL market lol. I dont really want a 600cc because of the lack of torque, but I dont necessarily want a liter bike because of the crap mpg.

I was looking at a 08 Triumph Daytona and a 07 Ducati 848, from what ive read these two bikes are better on gas than liter bikes, but still have that low end torque I am used to.

Realistically the purchase would be after 6 months or so, so I have alot of time to think, but its always nice to see opinions from other people.

My budget is around 7k.

So? Whats out there that has more torque than typical 600cc sportbikes but are moderately fuel efficient? :71baldboy:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yamaha FZ09? 850cc triple. There's a nice 2014 model near me with only 3k miles for $6500.

You could probably get a new one for $8000 or less OTD.

I love my Suzuki SFV650, it's pretty torquey. But it sounds like you want something more powerful. I'm getting 53 mpg on average.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
EVery now and then, I get the urge for a sportbike as well. Maybe a Busa... would LOVE to have a newer R1 with the crossplane crank... maybe a VTR1000 Superhawk or an RTV1000 RC51...

If you want good torque with decent economy, the FZ-09 gets 44mpg, supposedly, while having gobs of torque. Granted, it is a nekkid bike, and not a full-on sportbike, but it does have way better mileage than the R1

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a co worker who had an FZ09, I wasnt much a fan or the ergonomics of it,

Dash I would love a RC51 or a fully faired Suzuki SV1000, both are a little rare these days.

Alas my search continues.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I had a co worker who had an FZ09, I wasnt much a fan or the ergonomics of it,

Dash I would love a RC51 or a fully faired Suzuki SV1000, both are a little rare these days.

Alas my search continues.
I'd wanna see if I could find a half fairing kit, to make the RC look more like the Superhawk... then see just how much power could be squeezed out of the engine. Hell, Ducati has gotten 200hp out of their V-twin engines, I imagine the RC-51 could be made to hit at least 170hp.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
After the Kawasaki dealer gave me a day of fun test riding crotch rockets, I got the first itch.........he knew that would happen

The 1400 Ninja is stuck in my mind, something I would really like to have, but the smart me says no.

Practically, the Versys, a tweener, either 650 or 1000(650 for the smart me).

And finally for the pure purpose of going thru curves fast, the one I didn't ride, a Ninja 300..........but then the not so smart me keeps jumping back to the 1400.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Seems to me you should look at nakeds, as others seem to be suggesting. FZ-09, the Triple, Monster, etc. Nakeds in the 700-900cc range tend to have similar motors to their fully faired counterparts, but the primary difference is a lower rev range and a wider torque range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts