Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the ABS threat currently raging, thought I'd ask the following:

Have you personally used emergency braking to avoid a crash? This is instead of choosing a different maneuver or combination of moves to avoid the situation.

In 25 years on the street, I cannot recall a time when braking was the only or even the best option that required me to reach a full stop to avoid a situation.

I would venture to guess that it is a rare situation because, *if* we're paying attention like we should and riding legally, there shouldn't be an object that suddenly appears that cannot be dealt with in some way other than just a panic stop.

BTW, I am defining emergency braking as bringing the bike to a full stop in the shortest distance possible.

What am I overlooking?

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Yes

Yes, for a deer in the rain, going around a RH turn.

Generally no, because I practice defensive riding. Even went to defensive driving school years ago. I wonder why?

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Our best tool in avoiding an accident, is our own eyes. I've had to hit my brakes pretty hard as a cager trying to cut me off, I wouldn't say it was a total panic stop, because I knew the area, I knew that cars tend to floor it out on this spot, being a very busy road, and you take what ever opening is there. I saw the tire start to move and I reacted by stopping in time to just let the idiot pull out like Mario Andretti and then go nowhere. I do practice my emergency stops though, so that it becomes like second nature for when I really need it, hopefully I don't need to. But we have alot of wildlife in our areas, and with the Doe's in heat, well, they come out of nowhere and sometimes you can't see them till they hop out of the bush. I had one a few weeks back, I swear she was going to hop on the back of my bike and ride witch....

·
Visionary
4,664 Posts
It's a bit more complicated but without retelling the whole story yes I did have to do a full on hard stop. The short version is that a dimwit cage driver turned left in front of me, saw me at the last second, and stopped broadside blocking my lane instead of continuing into the driveway they were aiming for. I had a high curb to my right and a car waiting to turn left to my left. Stopping as hard as I could was pretty much my only option, it was too F****ing close by far but I did stop. I over-braked the back wheel somewhat and did a little fishtail action but I held it up and nothing was wounded but my nerves.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I have flat spotted the front and rear tires, just not at the same time fortunately. So far, I have been lucky keeping myself alive, because most people don't care if I'm alive or dead.

Best brakes ever were on an M109R, that thing would tear concrete up with the front tire!

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Only once in all the years and miles. I generally have already been in the right gear to throttle to safety. That's normally my first line of defense. Interestingly enough, it happened to be on the only ABS bike I've owned. Could it be that I relied on breaks because of that instead of my normal approach? I honestly can't say. I do know I had practiced with those brakes extensively so I knew right when they would kick in. They never kicked in on that one time. So that possibility of not really needing to brake instead of accelerate is indeed there.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have never panic stopped but I have used very heavy braking. I also use heavy steering at times but try to avoid a panic weave. Stay in control at all times and you will make out better.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are basically demonstrating what I already suspected. It is extremely rare that we panic stop because we are looking out for threats and making adjustments.

All of us have had to brake hard to scrub speed and maneuver, but it's not common at all to bring it to a full stop... except to clean our shorts after the fact. :biggrin:

This is a point that I hope the newbies will see and take to heart. It's not really about what whether a bike has ABS or not so much as it's about being alert and able to deal with a situation appropriately.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Yes, I have. My old girl doesn't have ABS. I really didn't think I would get stopped in time but did. All of the practice is what helped me not to lose confidence and panic.

The guy ran a red light at a stop light on a 65 mile an hour 4 lane road and came out from behind a semi. Fortunately I had already lightened up on the throttle.

·
8,621 Posts
One time, in 2010 on my new Buell 1125R superbike, as I crested a hill @ about 60 mph, there was an unmarked stop sign at the bottom and about 100 yards away!!! It was also the long point of a "T" highway, with a big ditch on the other side. The Buell has a very powerful front brakes so I could only apply so much pressure without doing an end over end thing so in the less than a second scenario, I hit the rear brake to hard, skidded for about 40 feet or so until I calmed down and modulated both brakes and came to a nice safe stop-------- 4 feet into the perpendicular lane!!! Thank GOD no one was on the road. I immediately went home an changed my 'Fruit of the looms!"

This is a perfect scenario for efficacy of ABS brakes. It would have been no big deal if I'd had them on that bike.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I have.

But that doesn't mean that if I was alert and riding legally I couldn't have avoided the whole situation to begin with. <weak smile>
Yeah, that's why I provided that caveat. And if the question were posed in any other way, I'd plead the fifth myself.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Yes and no. Hard enough to lock up a wheel, until I got slow enough that I could thread the needle left for me

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I have never panic stopped. But I have panic slowed more than once. Here in northern Wisconsin wildlife is prolific, and you will need this skill no matter how attentive you are. If you swerve, you just put yourself into oncoming traffic lanes, or into the next deer following the first. Swerving does you no good. Riding at reasonable speeds and good braking skills will save your life.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You guys are basically demonstrating what I already suspected. It is extremely rare that we panic stop because we are looking out for threats and making adjustments.

All of us have had to brake hard to scrub speed and maneuver, but it's not common at all to bring it to a full stop... except to clean our shorts after the fact. :biggrin:

This is a point that I hope the newbies will see and take to heart. It's not really about what whether a bike has ABS or not so much as it's about being alert and able to deal with a situation appropriately.
Yes, you are right. In most situations, being alert and attentive can and will save your life. But, it's nice to know, that if I absolutely had to, I can without losing control. My instructor stressed the fact that once you commit to what to do, whether it be braking or swerving or whatever, stick to it, whether right or wrong, because the seconds or two it takes us to second guess our decision, may effect the outcome. Regarless of ABS or no ABS, anytime you can walk away safetly, well, that's really all that matters much. Draws can be tossed...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Here is the Baltimore - Washington area or wild life comes in 2, 3, 4, 6, 10 and 18 wheeled packages. Some days they all seem to be out to kill you.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Twice I've come to a complete stop, stopping as fast as I could.
1 truck turns left in front of me......pulling a boat, so I had no where to go.

2 A truck in front of me decided to stop from 60mph, no brake lights, I got stopped in plenty of time. I pulled off with him to tell him he had no brake lights, he acted surprised and said wait, reached inside the truck then hit the brakes and the lights came on...........he said there was a switch that he hits accidently sometimes.........if I'd been thinking I would have called the law with his license plate to tell them this guy has a switch to turn off his brake lights.

A guy in a car looked me square in the eye and hit the gas to pull out in front of me turning right, I hit the brakes, dove right just missing his left rear bumper, flipped back to the left and down the shoulder I went........kicked his door on the way, which is stupid I won't do it again, luckily I had plenty of room on the right that it didn't wreck me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In 51 years of riding, I have had ONE "panic stop", though it wasn't panic as much as "OH*****!!!" It was in the mid-1980s on a Harley FLH.

City street, 4 lanes, undivided, heavy traffic, and I was in the left lane. A broad in a cage pulled in front of me from the right lane (no signal), then immediately jammed on her brakes to turn left. She left me less than a car length when she cut me off and with traffic in all the other lanes there was no way to get around her. Even with maximum braking, I was going to cream her back bumper, probably do serious damage to my bike, and probably do a wishbone on my handlebars when I hit. I locked up the brakes, turned the bike sideways, and stepped off just before the collision. The bike was mostly under the back of her car and I was standing on the street. The bike was okay, aside from a few scratches, and I was completely uninjured. After giving her a lesson in nasty words (to the cheers of some spectators), I stood my bike up and continued on my way.

I hear so much criticism about "laying it down" but if I hadn't, my bike would have been seriously damaged (front wheel and spokes at least, maybe forks) and I would likely have broken a leg or a hip. It was pure instinct and I still feel it was the best choice.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Why would you lay it down? There is no brakes on the sides of the bike, only the tires touching the ground would slow it down.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts