Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a brand new GSXR 750 from coleman motorsports in woodbridge a couple of weeks ago and I also added on some extra mods like a two brothers exhaust, sliders, tank gaurd...

Has anyone had experience doing this before? I am wondering if they are going to keep my stock exhaust? I obviously do not want to donate it to them so I was wondering if this is a common practice?

· Ace Tuner
4,160 Posts
It's not common practice for an honest shop.

You own the parts removed. The dealership has no claim to them.

The same is true for bad parts replaced during repairs. Always tell them to 'save old parts' and have them put that in writing on the repair order. Any honest shop should be happy to show you the bad parts and what was wrong with them.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys! So I went to pick up the bike and when I was leaving they said "You don't want the stock muffler do you?"... I said yes. Then I remembered oh yeah I want me seat too (as I ordered a cowl cover).

They brought it out to me..but I forgot to ask for the stock fender (got a fender eliminator) and they didn't volunteer it. But oh well that is the part I don't really care about anyway.

· Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, absolutely get the parts back. When you sell the bike it'll almost surely go for more if it has stock components. You can just take the goodies off you had installed and piecemeal them on Craiglist. I'm really pretty shocked they didn't give you your stuff back. That's insane. Is the exhaust a full system or a slip-on? A slip-on shouldn't void your warranty, but a full system probably will. These guys sound a bit untrustworthy to me.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As as side note I just bought the bike brand new form them.

I ordered a slip-on, rear seat cowl cover, fender eliminator, and frame sliders. They kept the stock fender... and I had to ask for my seat and stock exhaust back lol.

· Ace Tuner
4,160 Posts
Yeah, absolutely get the parts back. When you sell the bike it'll almost surely go for more if it has stock components. You can just take the goodies off you had installed and piecemeal them on Craiglist. I'm really pretty shocked they didn't give you your stuff back. That's insane. Is the exhaust a full system or a slip-on? A slip-on shouldn't void your warranty, but a full system probably will. These guys sound a bit untrustworthy to me.
^
What he said about stock parts.

Unfortunately dealers / shops trying to keep "the spoils' happens regularly.
Makes all of us in the industry look bad. :mad:

I'd go back for the fender, but I'm kinda a hard azz.....

· Registered
717 Posts
^
I'd go back for the fender, but I'm kinda a hard azz.....
I don't know, I think those jerks deserve a bit of hard azzedness. They see a new guy come in and decide to fleece him. Not good manners! Besides, stock fenders are absolutely more expensive than what you get in a FE kit. They'll sell the thing and make a tidy profit, I'd imagine.

· Gone.
14,767 Posts
We'd usually ask the customer if they wanted their old parts back when they brought the bike in if it was a customization or an upgrade. Most of the time people didn't want them back, sometimes they did. If they didn't we'd either keep it if it was something that could be used, or toss it if it was something like a stock exhaust or something which we had no use for.

If it's a repair we almost never keep damaged or worn out parts. That stuff goes in the trash unless it has some unusual damage or we want to educate the customer with the part. "See this gunk? This is why you want to change your brake fluid when you're supposed to." Another reason is if there's something we find that wasn't expected and we want to show the customer. "We put in the cam you wanted but we found that your inner cam bearings were shot so we replaced them while we were in there."

· SUPER MODERATOR
7,681 Posts
Hillbro, whatever you do, get the original pipes back!!!!!!! Someday the EPA will mandate that 'stock exhaust' is mandatory and the stock price is extremely expensive.:surprise:

Many States, counties and cities are issuing tickets in huge numbers for exhaust mods. Really, it is a Federal offense to do anything to make the bike LOUDER than stock, whether exhaust or intake sound:surprise:

Mandatory, yearly safety inspections and road block stops in some areas, are really coming down on violators:surprise:

Besides the smell of Napalm in the morning, one of the things that makes my day is a Harley with custom and loud pipes:wink2: Lots of my JAP bikes have had loud 4 into one pipes as had my past Ducati:wink2: The 'Thunderheader' on my Dyno winning Big twin Harley put me into a state of Nirvana when that 96 inch engine spooled up! My 2 stroke track and desert bikes all ran open expansion chambers and my 4 stroke track and dual sport mounts all had SuperTrap systems! I like my bikes just like I like Jimi Hendrix---LOUD:grin:

Sam:nerd:

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hillbro, whatever you do, get the original pipes back!!!!!!! Someday the EPA will mandate that 'stock exhaust' is mandatory and the stock price is extremely expensive.:surprise:

Many States, counties and cities are issuing tickets in huge numbers for exhaust mods. Really, it is a Federal offense to do anything to make the bike LOUDER than stock, whether exhaust or intake sound:surprise:

Mandatory, yearly safety inspections and road block stops in some areas, are really coming down on violators:surprise:

Besides the smell of Napalm in the morning, one of the things that makes my day is a Harley with custom and loud pipes:wink2: Lots of my JAP bikes have had loud 4 into one pipes as had my past Ducati:wink2: The 'Thunderheader' on my Dyno winning Big twin Harley put me into a state of Nirvana when that 96 inch engine spooled up! My 2 stroke track and desert bikes all ran open expansion chambers and my 4 stroke track and dual sport mounts all had SuperTrap systems! I like my bikes just like I like Jimi Hendrix---LOUD:grin:

Sam:nerd:
I did get the stock exhaust back... How is it a federal offence to put on a two brothers slip-on exhaust...?

· Registered
717 Posts
I did get the stock exhaust back... How is it a federal offence to put on a two brothers slip-on exhaust...?
If you look closely, your new exhaust will say "for track use only" somewhere on the silencer. It's there for two reasons:

1) the decibel level is above the stated maximum permissible level

2) if you do a de-cat, your bike no longer meets environmental emissions standards. The catalytic converter scrubs up the goodies emitted when you burn fuel, so removing it is technically harmful to the environment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.