Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever bought a bike from jersey Shore Power Sports? I get the feeling that something just isn't quite right there.
The salespeople seem to have no idea what they're talking about and they just want to get you in there, maybe for a bait and switch.

I've seen some unfavorable reviews but there are bad reviews for just about every dealership you look at. Has anyone had experience with this place? It's about a two hour ride and I don't want to waste a whole day for nothing.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The salespeople seem to have no idea what they're talking about...
No experience with them, but I can tell you that seems to be the norm, at least at all the ones (car and bike) that I've ever been in.

If you show that you are more knowledgeable than they are, and don't mind being a bit assertive, you put yourself at a significant advantage when it comes time to negotiate.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Has anybody ever bought a bike from jersey Shore Power Sports? I get the feeling that something just isn't quite right there.
The salespeople seem to have no idea what they're talking about and they just want to get you in there, maybe for a bait and switch.

I've seen some unfavorable reviews but there are bad reviews for just about every dealership you look at. Has anyone had experience with this place? It's about a two hour ride and I don't want to waste a whole day for nothing.
Professionalism is all but dead; it all about making money NOW!

30 years ago, they guy (sorry ladies) selling you a motorcycle definitely rode them and probably raced them for years, if not decades.

Today...lol...just people looking to make a buck as fast as possible. I was talking to a Harley sales person and I asked "what do you ride"...they DON'T ride; not into it! Geesh!..and how desperate must the dealers be to hire these people?
This same Harley dealer sent out a hiring email, actually listed some strict requirements...lol...must not have got any replies..same email a month later and the only requirement was that you look clean and enjoy talking to people.

I NEVER buy new from a dealer...so many used, and practically new, bikes out there where owner ate a ton of depreciation and barely rode the bike. One of my bikes was ~4 years old with ~1000 miles and I paid half what it costs new.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted o find something gently used but in this area, the private sellers are trying to recoup what they paid new and, in general, the owners want $3k for a 5 year old bike with 6000 miles on it, that originally cost about $4k.

·
Zip
2,522 Posts
Mils, I just had a thought. Some of the other old-timers here might chime in to disagree since I'm fairly new into motorcycling after having been away for almost 30 years, but here goes anyway.

Have you considered joining a local motorcycle club, getting to know some of the people, and requesting their help? I belong to the BMW Motorcycle Club of Akron, and I know that at least a few of us old farts would be happy to help you find a good bike, navigate through working with a dealer (if necessary). Maybe even help you get started with riding it; a couple of our members have been motorcycle safety school instructors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mils, I just had a thought. Some of the other old-timers here might chime in to disagree since I'm fairly new into motorcycling after having been away for almost 30 years, but here goes anyway.

Have you considered joining a local motorcycle club, getting to know some of the people, and requesting their help? I belong to the BMW Motorcycle Club of Akron, and I know that at least a few of us old farts would be happy to help you find a good bike, navigate through working with a dealer (if necessary). Maybe even help you get started with riding it; a couple of our members have been motorcycle safety school instructors.
I tried to find a female club. There are one or two int the state but none and no members in my area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I tried to find a female club. There are one or two int the state but none and no members in my area.
I don’t want to sound naive ir prejudiced but there are some clubs here that are associated with crime. I don’t want to inadvertently get involved in anything.

·
Zip
2,522 Posts
I don’t want to sound naive ir prejudiced but there are some clubs here that are associated with crime. I don’t want to inadvertently get involved in anything.
That's just being cautious, as you should be. I can speak only from my own experience, but I doubt that a club associated with the BMW brand would have much (if any) association with crime. My local club has a couple of female members; indeed, the safety class instructors I mentioned before are these female members. And even though it's a "BMW club" we have members who ride other brands.

There's a BMW club in your area: New Sweden BMW Riders. Their website says "Although we are a BMW chartered club, we are brand agnostic and welcome anyone who shares our passion for riding." I'll PM you a link to their web page.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's just being cautious, as you should be. I can speak only from my own experience, but I doubt that a club associated with the BMW brand would have much (if any) association with crime. My local club has a couple of female members; indeed, the safety class instructors I mentioned before are these female members. And even though it's a "BMW club" we have members who ride other brands.

There's a BMW club in your area: New Sweden BMW Riders. Their website says "Although we are a BMW chartered club, we are brand agnostic and welcome anyone who shares our passion for riding." I'll PM you a link to their web page.
I emailed to see if they either have any members from my immediate area or if they know of any clubs in my county. Hopefully, I’ll hear back.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I may also sound naive with what I'm about to say but do criminal MCs even accept women who want to ride motorcycles?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I wanted o find something gently used but in this area, the private sellers are trying to recoup what they paid new and, in general, the owners want $3k for a 5 year old bike with 6000 miles on it, that originally cost about $4k.
Just like you want to pay the least, they want to get the most, so it's a bit of a game. Kelly Blue Book and the National Dealers Association can help you determine a fair price to pay, but you have to be willing to walk away if it's not a fit. Now is a bad time to buy as its the beginning of summer when the demand is highest. You'll likely do better in the fall, heading into winter when they know the bike is unlikely to sell for months. How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends. For something used, probably not more than 2500 unless it’s from a dealer and it’s very low mileage, then I could see paying a little more but I actually just missed out on a 2016 rebel at a dealership. It had 70 miles on it and sold for 2400. If a dealership is selling for 2400, why would I pay a private seller with an olde bike, more than that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts