1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I always thought a GL1000 with some different suspension would be fun as an adventure bike. Might be a good build for that spare I have in my barn.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
I've got sort of a latent desire for Honda's Africa Twin large trailie Adventure bike:surprise:

Why you might ask. Adventure bikes have great ergonomics, nice engines, large tanks, ABS with traction control, nice seats, rear racks, windscreens and the number one thing for me is that with 9+ inches of plush travel, front and rear, you hardly feel deteriorated roads:grin:

My 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-strom adventure bike is just a joy to ride on poor roads and compared to my Past 2012 Goldwing or my current 2014 Honda CTX1300d, as the DL rides like a Cadillac:smile_big:

Harley's new adventure bike looks good to me:grin: I just wonder how I'd be accepted pulling into a Harley Rally, with my Harley rockered vest with ride pins and patches, Harley leather Jacket, Chaps and my silly leather Harley engineer cap:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always thought a GL1000 with some different suspension would be fun as an adventure bike. Might be a good build for that spare I have in my barn.
Here you go cmonstart. Its not a GL1000, but it is a Goldwing GL1500.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
WOW, I bet that thing is a beast on the straights!:surprise:

Now that's the epitome of an 'Adventure bike.':grin:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The biggest hindrance is their dealerships which prefer fat, old, hair neck white men and refer to guys like me as Power Rangers. So, for me to go to one of their showrooms and look at the machines I have to wade though the knee deep bulls---it and scowls and all those stupid patches all over the black leather. Looks like some sort of German bar of odd tendencies I went into once by accident in Berlin. With all that it is just so much easier for me to go buy a Yamaha (or a Triumph ;) ). So I did.

3C

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
" which prefer fat, old, hair neck white men-----" 3 crows quote:surprise:

What is a "hair neck" ????:confused:

Hate, prejudice, racist and snowflake ideals!:smile_big:

The group above STILL has all of the money because of our 'White privilege' passed on to all 'White' people at birth along with the silver or gold spoon and a FULL bank account:grin: Ha ha ha:kiss:

To show you how privileged I am, I had to look up how to spell the word:smile_big:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I experienced the same as 3crows above. Went into a large regional Harley dealership, wanted to see the Street Rod last year. "Oh, we have some in the warehouse, but it's kinda like that one there"... Harley's biggest line of defeat is their dealership attitudes. So, I went to the used selection, about 50 motorcycles outside. Not one had a price tag. SO, I went to Malcom Smith Motorsports across the street, new / used, all had price tags. The barriers to entry into the Harley Davidson cult, as I see it in a lot of HD riders, are much too great to even be bothered with, as I see it. Eventually, Harley and all of its rider will be the losers. Life is short and motorcycling is enjoyable, whether it be german, american, italian, india-made, etc. The barriers to entry is the reason Harley Davidson must recycle the same riders, https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/current/freedom-promise.html because in the end, they're not even gaining market share, and the average age of the Harley Davidson rider has been statistically been getting higher and higher over the last decade. I wish Milwaukee the best, but when you keep blaming sales on low motorcycle demand in the USA, eventually it's gonna slap you right back into reality.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
3crows bit of drivel was written by someone who has little to no knowledge of what he speaks. If my local Harley dealers treated and talked to potential customers in the manner that you describe, they would be out of business in a quick minute. There are numerous name brand bikes and their riders at all the Harley functions because they are the only ones worth attending. The local Honda dealer is nothing more than a former gas station with added office space. They mostly have nothing to offer their customersl. Yes, Honda makes a nice bike.

As for the patch wearing, headband wearing, leather clad, fat, old white men, well, you should move along because you'll be wearing your power ranger outfit for your girlfriend that just loves the look, sound and feel of a Harley between her legs. You remind me of the guy who rides a rice burner because they are supposed to be fast, but wants his picture taken on a Harley because they are bad-ass and have soul.

Go search for some truth before you spread your lack of knowledge to anymore drones that are willing to drink your Kool Aid.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Alas, Tobacco Road reveals a Harley Davidson barrier to entry. Selah!
Not hardly dude. Harley is the only dealership regardless of brand, that offers a family values type of activities for everyone. They turn no one away. During big functions when there are hundreds of bikes in the lot, you'll see all Japanese brands, and Italian, and English and ones that I forgot. All there, all getting along, all talking about their bikes and eating good food. Just what barrier are you referring to my friend??

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
Mike, although you don't post where you live, your mention of Malcom Smith's dealership tells me that right down the street is Skip Fordyce HD, where I bought my first Electra Glide in 1991:smile_big:

Both dealers are good ones but both are very small compared to the newer ones.

Palm Springs HD is a great place and that is where I joined the Harley owners group-HOG and always had a great time at the dealership, their events and club rides.

Let's bad mouth politician's, not each other as what you ride doesn't really define you as a person,:surprise: You can't always judge a book by it's cover:smile_big:

I had a brand new Electra Glide and a new Goldwing and a new KTM Adventure bike at the same time once upon a time, thanks to the 'silver spoon.'

By the way, isn't it odd when obviously 'white' liberal's bad mouth their own race, like the College professors who have stated that 'white's should be exterminated.'

As far as knocking the old, well last I checked none are getting younger:crying:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts