Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up to my entry in 'Thirty years' thread.

The difference between Harley riders and Goldwing drivers:

Harley riders:
"Live to ride. Ride to Live."
Goldwing drivers:
"Eat to ride. Ride to eat

Harley riders:
"Loud pipes save lives."
Goldwing drivers:
"Honey, will you turn down the radio?"

Harley riders:
Black leather jacket and chaps
Goldwing drivers:
Red snowmobile suit :D

Harley riders:
Black leather vest with chain closure and skull and lightning bolt on the back
Goldwing drivers:
Gray twill vest with trading pins and GoldWing Road Riders Association chapter
patch on the back

Harley riders:
Meets other riders at "The Dam Ice House"
Goldwing drivers:
Meets other riders at Dunkin Donuts

Harley riders:
Biker Mama on the back.
Goldwing drivers:
HER Mama on the back.

Harley riders:
Cross city ride ends at topless bar.
Goldwing drivers:
Cross country ride ends at Dairy Queen.

Harley riders:
National riders group meeting called "Hog Rally".
Goldwing drivers:
International group affair called "Wing Ding".

Harley riders:
Riding in groups of twenty.
Goldwing drivers:
Riding in groups of two.

Harley riders:
Ape hanger bars and (proctologists dream) splinter seats.
Goldwing drivers:
Big wide seats for big wide butts.

Harley riders:
Rolling thunder.
Goldwing drivers:
BarcoLounger with wheels

Harley riders:
Dew rags covering up steel plate in the head from riding without a helmet. But looking COOL.
Goldwing drivers:
Helmet with headset and microphones, covered in reflective patches

Harley riders:
"This beer is flat, let's trash the place."
Goldwing drivers:
"This cappuccino is cold. Let's only tip 10%."

Ride safe & long,
Colorado Fats

·
Registered
301 Posts
Goldwing&Harley

well I think you hit the nail on the head with this one ,But where does that leave me I have Owned both I know that is why they Look at funny at Dunkin donuts on Sunday,I am not coming to rob the place ,just get a donut to eat
LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!!!!!:D :D :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to agree with one thing, and that is the use of radios. i have actually sat in a Denny's and hear a wife complaining to her husband that he played his radio too loud, and that he could not hear her over her mic. I can't really blame him though. She went on and on about him not listening to her the whole time they ate, without him getting in a word edgewise. I think back on that moment and think of what the stereotypical Harley rider would have done. The least they would have done is get on their bike and leave the witch. lol

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well, I got to agree about them BIG OL' BUTTS.

Thats one thing you can say about the Wings. They can haul 550 pounds of big butts, plus gear and even pull a matching trailer and still pass a Chevy Impala like it was standing still.

Just kidding :D

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
13 year old thread, the dynamics have changed now for sure.
@Ajtx they like you to introduce yourself in the introductions area before posting (y)

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
So many Harley riders have NEVER been on another brand of bike, and have no idea of how poorly their overweight, outdated technology and underpowered bikes compare to modern motorcycles. To me, the biggest difference between Harley and Goldwing riders is easy to see on perfect riding days. The Goldwing are riding, while the Harleys are packed in front of a bar with the “riders” inside. Just saying.

·
On The Road Again!
3,951 Posts
So right, Vito.
There is a bar near me that I pass when heading out for a ride.
I see a bunch of bikes parked outside that bar every weekend.
When I come home from my ride, HOURS later, the same bunch
of Har...I mean bikes are still parked out there.
Beautiful day and they waste it sitting on a barstool bullshitting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So many Harley riders have NEVER been on another brand of bike, and have no idea of how poorly their overweight, outdated technology and underpowered bikes compare to modern motorcycles. To me, the biggest difference between Harley and Goldwing riders is easy to see on perfect riding days. The Goldwing are riding, while the Harleys are packed in front of a bar with the “riders” inside. Just saying.
Zackly. Wingers are putting hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes while the H-D's are in the shop getting their eighth top end job.

An used H-D with 30K miles is a high mileage bike. A Wing with under 100K on it is barely broken in.

H-D's are like Dobermans:
When their taken for a ride, they're usually seen in the back of a pickup truck and
most of them leave spots for you to clean up because they mark their territory.

So many times at Daytona, I felt like I rode my bike to Trailer Week.

And anything that has an engine that big and makes that much noise ought to have enough power to get out of it's own way.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Zackly. Wingers are putting hundreds of thousands of miles on their bikes while the H-D's are in the shop getting their eighth top end job.

An used H-D with 30K miles is a high mileage bike. A Wing with under 100K on it is barely broken in.

H-D's are like Dobermans:
When their taken for a ride, they're usually seen in the back of a pickup truck and
most of them leave spots for you to clean up because they mark their territory.

So many times at Daytona, I felt like I rode my bike to Trailer Week.

And anything that has an engine that big and makes that much noise ought to have enough power to get out of it's own way.
LMAO... that was awesome... oops sorry I implied I used the word a**. In a canadian forum even if you use LOL that is considered a power post and it seems people get triggered and is against the rules. LMAO

·
On The Road Again!
3,951 Posts
LOL!! My '99 Wing that you see in the picture below currently has 109,000 miles and still runs like a new bike. Doesn't use a drop of oil either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a lot of Harley's still running from the '60's and '70's.
How many have more than 100K miles on them and have never been rebuilt?

Vs. How many Gold Wings are out there with over two hundred thousand on them that have NEVER had ANY engine work done at all? There is just no comparison between the two in terms of longevity and reliability.

Now if that doesn't matter and what impresses you is which bike looks 'cooler' to you parked in front of a bar, and your idea of 'cool' is having a motor that looks like a garage air compressor with chrome bits added...

You know, back in the 1910's-20's, a lot of bikes had v-twins with just a single throw crank and either siamese'd or forked pushrods, a longer stroke than bore, a single carb (or similar device) to mix the fuel for both cylinders, a separate transmission, and a chain connecting the engine to the trans creating slop in the driveline if it isn't perfectly adjusted (Triumph figured this out by 1963).

Even Harley saw that this was all antiquated. Look at the bike that was supposed to be their future, the V-Rod. But they insisted that every bike with that motor had to look like a silly drag bike and they never put it in any touring bikes. So as the design grew old, they dumped this nice Porsche designed motor rather than redesign other bikes around the engine.

A big mistake, because we all know that liquid cooled engines last three times longer than air cooled engines. Heck, Chevy figured that out around 1925! And they can be tuned easier to meet restrictive emissions regs.

But they decided that they needed to cater to the many who expect their bike to sound like 'potato potato potato' at idle...

·
Banned
513 Posts
I haven't seen a goldwing in 20 years so I have no idea how many miles are on them. Have seen a lot more Harleys though. I don't have a Harley so I don't care what you think about them. So there is that.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts