Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the recent Harley recall ...........2014's? Brakes? Clutch?

I heard something about it, but no details......

Just wondering.........

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
It was a voluntary recall for potential hydraulic clutch problems on some touring models.

Honda issued a recall for some 2014 Goldwings that may have the rear brakes drag and lock up.

Also for some sportbikes that may have an engine case bolt fall out.

Victory issued a recall for some bike that may have defective engine cases that may cause the motor to suddenly seize up.

Kawasaki issued a recall for some Ninja 300's that had a potential brake failure.

BMW issued one for bikes that start leaking gas suddenly, and so on and so on.

Recalls are nothing unusual and occur across all brands, and most companies have an excellent reputation for voluntarily taking care of potential problems even before accidents can occur. (Honda might be an exception to that though.)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a voluntary recall for potential hydraulic clutch problems on some touring models.

Honda issued a recall for some 2014 Goldwings that may have the rear brakes drag and lock up.

Victory issued a recall for some bike that may have defective engine cases that may cause the motor to suddenly seize up.

Kawasaki issued a recall for some Ninja 300's that had a potential brake failure.

Recalls are nothing unusual and occur across all brands, and most companies have an excellent reputation for voluntarily taking care of potential problems even before accidents can occur. (Honda might be an exception to that though.)
Thanks for the extensive info.....I only asked because I had heard about it, and wondered what the details were. If I am going to look at a HD in the future, I'd like to know what models to avoid. Like the models from the AMF years, for example.

-Soupy

·
So long
2,753 Posts

I recently had the fuel pump replaced on my 2007 BMW due to the recall that Eye mentioned above. My bike never leaked or caused me a bit of trouble, but I'm glad BMW stepped up and took care of it at no cost to me.

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
You all are missing it. Recalls mean the companies are still actively improving. It's far better than improvements by death. Although that still is what many wait for. Perfection can never be achieved. But you can improve. GM should be a good example of what lack of recalls mean. I wonder about a company that has few or none.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You all are missing it. Recalls mean the companies are still actively improving................
No doubt about that. However, if you buy a bike or car that has a known issue (either up front, or later on), there is still the potential for a problem (accident, death, etc) and so it obviously means a trip to the Dealership to remove the issue.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
If I am going to look at a HD in the future, I'd like to know what models to avoid. Like the models from the AMF years, for example.
Unless you like working on bikes and doing a lot of maintenance, you should definitely stay away from the AMF models. So, steer clear of any Harley model made before about 1982.

(Of course, unless you like working on bikes and doing a lot of maintenance, steer clear of ANY bike made before about 1982.)

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts