Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truth be told, the only thing purely “American” about HD, is it’s history.

There are, and we all know this, MANY piece parts on a HD that are manufactured by sub-contractors from all over the world! This is not new knowledge for most of us.

The Assembly & Final Inspection, the designing and conceptualizing, is still done here of course, and American labor is the cornerstone of those elements. That is, until they add factories in Europe.

No matter what is driving that shift, (and I believe it is purely economics, pushing that action) it is just one more way that HD has erased more of the “American made” truth about their product.

I won’t say that I think it reduces the appeal of HD, at least insofar as the things we all like about the product, but it’s sort of like how we old 60’s hippies feel about our generation selling out to “the man,” after all those years of shaking our finger at the Corporate Machine, and trying to wake up the “establishment” to the truth that they walk blindly past.

“Sales are DOWN at HD,” some say.......I dunno about that; I haven’t examined the books. But if so, it must be being driven by compromises like the move to Europe, currently proposed, among other things.

The danger is, IMHO, that HD will end up with a warehouse full of unwanted bikes; only instead of AMF models stored here, that they can’t GIVE away, it’ll be a warehouse in ENGLAND, or wherever; yet again adding another business misstep, to its illustrious history!

The even SADDER part of all this, is who ends up paying the dearest price for these actions.......the consumer!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
There are, and we all know this, MANY piece parts on a HD that are manufactured by sub-contractors from all over the world! This is not new knowledge for most of us.
-About 12-18% of the parts for bikes made in America come from overseas.

-Most of the parts for bikes assembled overseas come from the USA.

-Harley has assembly plants in Brazil, Thailand, and India. The bikes made in those plants have never been imported to the USA and are for foreign markets only. If you buy a Harley in the USA or Canada it was made in the USA. None of that is changing.

-I don't know where you get the idea that they're going to open a factory in Europe. Is the old hippie still smoked up? :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The danger is, IMHO, that HD will end up with a warehouse full of unwanted bikes; only instead of AMF models stored here, that they can’t GIVE away,
-I wish I had a warehouse full of AMF bikes! They command high prices now. Shovel Heads are very sought after machines, Soupy.

The even SADDER part of all this, is who ends up paying the dearest price for these actions.......the consumer!
-Harley said the new moves will not effect the cost of motorcycles sold in the USA.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have been reading about the closure of one of the plants in KS for a long time now.

The plan to move some production around has been in the works for awhile.

No company looks good when people loose their job. I think this talk about why is kind of a smoke screen to try and make the motor company look better when doing a hard job.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
"The danger is, IMHO, that HD will end up with a warehouse full of unwanted bikes; only instead of AMF models stored here, that they can’t GIVE away, it’ll be a warehouse in ENGLAND---" Soupy quote:smile_big:

If that's the case please inform me of the unsold and unwanted Harley's and since I'm so rich (according to Joe 12 pack) maybe I can get 'EYE' to go in with me and we will buy the entire stock:smile_big:

There have been successful ways around import/ export taxes since forever: Honda and Kawasaki produced motorcycles in Ohio and Nebraska respectively :plain:

Harley's sales will increase dramatically in the United States when parity in import/ export fees is a reality:grin:

President Trump is the ultimate businessman and negotiator and the office of the Presidency has NEVER had someone that understands world markets like him so I say: "Keep up the good work!":grin:

No wonder the EU is pooping in their pants right now, their bikes, imported to the United States will cost much more as will their cars.:wink2:

If this EU bashing keeps up, I think it will lead to some American Citizens getting fed up and some may take a hard stand against ANYTHING not domestically produced. :grin:

I have owned 3 Harley's and all of my other bikes, 85 total, were produced by the evil axis: Germany, Japan and Italy and I currently have 3 absolutely fantastic Japanese bikes but honestly, if this keeps up, I will sell them in a nano second and buy the best Harley or Indian dresser that money can buy.:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
What Harley said said:
The company said in a government filing on Monday that it may move some production outside the US in response to European retaliation for the president’s tariffs on imported metals.

I guess some people read different things out of the word 'may'

Reactions: Eye_m_no_angel

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
And you don't read it either Soupy. Nowhere in that article was it mentioned that HD was going to open a plant in England. Do you think Thailand is a county in the UK? It's not, it's in SE Asia and the plant proposed there is to supply Asian demand, plus sales now to the EU.

Get your facts clear Soupy, and if you post a link make sure you've read it and understood it. FAKE NEWS, as someone says.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Some writers are very good about writing an article that lets you interpret what they wrote with your bias and draw a complete different conclusion to the facts. I didn't see that with this particular article but I guess if you look hard you can see anything. All I saw was link after link to other articles. None said a thing about any new plant in Europe. Maybe I just missed it.:grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts