Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Might be a Good Ride if can get by the Sticker Shock .. i enjoyed your review and left a comment , Personally I'm too short at 5' 8" to be comfortable on this and never been that much of a Fan of the Fat Tire Look although I know many are .. Wish HD Well but this ones not for me ..

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Poorly produced video but aside from that, I'm kind of in the middle about the bike. I saw one yesterday at the local dealership and it looked impressive at first glance, but I quickly realized it's not something I'd buy. The price is too high for me and I'm not crazy about the back end of the bike. The engine looks and sounds impressive but for me the pipes would have to go. I hope the sell a million of them, HD can use the sales.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Excellent review.

You hit the nail on the head when you asked who will ride this bike. It seems like a caricature of a bike designed by a committee that has only ridden Harleys.

I laughed when you said a sports bike guy said its the only Harley for him.

I'm a sport bike guy. There's no way this bike checks any box for me. Long wheelbase, weight, tire sizes front and back, and the riding position make this a non-starter for me.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
There is no escaping 670 pounds. No way will it have quick handling like a sport bike, or UK and Einstein are wrong. The sales guy said it has extremely aggressive handling. Bunk. With the amount of weight, and the rake, then UK and my book on motorcycle suspension are wrong. Fairly light, 670 pounds, and motorcycle, will not honestly fit in the same sentence. Both the front and rear fenders are too small IMO. Many manufacturers have forgotten, there are many many riders under 5 feet 8 inches. And many of them ride fairly light, aggressive handling sport bike types.

I would never even think of buying a bike like this Harley. A one up bike needs to be a sport bike type. Otherwise it needs to be a comfortable cruiser type for one or two.

UK

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the comments, I edited a lot out of the video. I didn't want it to appear negative. It is a unique bike and yes the price is a bit of a shocker. I think you would be better off with a Sportster. With the extra money, you could build something extraordinary and unique. Again that's my opinion. However, if money wasn't an issue and I had a collection of Harley's I would add this one to my collection, but it wouldn't be in the top 10.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Keep up the good work, Traveling Tall! I subbed you on the Goldwing video and now I await more content. :D

I like that HD is trying to diversify their lineup, but with that price and that weight, who are they trying to appeal to? That said, with some candy paint (I hate matte) I'd just stare at it all day.

Reactions: Traveling Tall

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
That Harley is undoubtedly a fun bike to ride ( it's clearly not a sport bike though) but damn it is expensive!
$21,349!!

I think if I was looking for something along those lines I'd be much happier spending the 14K for the new Indian FTR1200 or even 12K for an Indian Scout Bobber like my Stepdaughter rides, I've ridden her's and it's a blast, American made, 100hp and 500 pounds...and for the price of the Harley you could almost buy 2 :)

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
That’s the price on the Indian website.

I agree with you 100% Are you sure about the price of the Indian FTR? I can't wait to ride one of those. My local dealer said that they are not out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Traveling Tall

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I agree with you 100% Are you sure about the price of the Indian FTR? I can't wait to ride one of those. My local dealer said that they are not out yet.
$13,000. Chances are good you could get some dealer to drop the price a little or throw something in. The later more likely. But I wouldn't expect much though. Not more than some accessory or two if that since it is new. Here's their link.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Don't think will be getting any good deals right away on the FTR .. They have a List at all 3 Indian Dealers I go to of people just waiting for it .. Later down the road you might .. If I was 20 years younger would consider this one, but after the waiting list thing on the New Indian Scout would never get on a List again .. Even though test rode one before putting a deposit down the short ride was not long enough to be aware of some of the shortcomings on the Newer Scouts, mainly the Suspension ..

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
People often talk about how expensive HD bikes are. And often I say they're no more expensive than comparable bikes in most categories. For example, the HD Street Glide and Electra Glide are comparable in price to similar bikes from Indian, Honda, BMW, and Yamaha/Star.

But then we look at a bike like this in the video. It's not comparable at all. Bikes in this class can be had for thousands less from other manufacturers. Now I get it to a point. American labor, amazing fit and finish, paint. But still, I don't suspect many buyers are going to go for this bike. And for that matter, for only a couple $$$ more you can step up to one of HD's Glide models. Now I get that we're talking completely different class of bikes, but for all the extra features you get, I'd bet more would pass on this for one.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
For a single person sport type bike, I would and did, spend $10,000 on my SV1000 Suzuki. It will out run nearly all other bikes, with good handling and brakes. As a plus I can carry a passenger, but it is not really comfortable for them. I was also able to find the mounting hardware for Givi backs and a top box. It is quite reliable, and a really good sport bike.
There are now many newer sport bikes with more power and better suspension. But they are more suited to the track, and cost a lot more.

I just paid $3,000 for my 96 Triumph Trophy 900. $2,700 plus taxes. It looks and runs like a new bike. When reality strikes, it is hard to pry money from me, as I become quite practical. Nissan sells a small car for $10,000.

My thinking might change, if I only ran up and down a freeway, like I5 in WA. Heading East and West over the Cascade Mountains is a lot different.

UK

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Going off on that tangent for a second....Test drive that Nissan, though. You'll change you mind, we did quickly when we looked at one a couple years ago. Practical yes, cramped and uncomfortable, also yes. Better off buying a late model used car of better finish and comfort. Especially given resale on that Nissan is horrendous. It's not practical when you crunch the numbers.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks, Traveling Tall, for the excellent review. It was honest and informative, and it refrained from jumping to any conclusions. I subscribed to your channel.

OZ and UK said it well. It looks like a committee design by a group of Harley guys, and it is way too heavy to call itself sporty. As with many Harley Davidson motorcycles, it is an expensive, heavyweight bike for experienced motorcyclists. This is exactly what young people are not looking for.

I sat on one of these at the local dealership. Being close to the other end of the size spectrum from Traveling Tall, I found that the big air scoop on the right hand side all but blocked my leg from reaching the footpeg. Not sure I could safely ride this machine. Clearly it is designed with a larger customer in mind. I figured a bigger person might find it comfortable. Yet at almost six and a half feet, even Traveling Tall felt awkward reaching the bars. Styling aside, who does fit on this bike?

And then there is the price. As Lurch pointed out, plenty of bikes cost a similar amount. But most of them are capable of much more. This is a bike that you blast around for an afternoon. Can't cross country with it. Can't carry luggage. Not very sporty or track worthy. Can't even get the air filter wet in the rain, which may mean you have to park indoors. So much for the commuter lot. It's a lot of money for a limited set of capabilities.

In Harley's defense, they do seem to have a bike for everyone. This bike must be perfect for someone.

Time will tell!

I think Harley has some potential winners with the four new designs they released a couple of months ago. The new street fighter and the Panamerica look really exciting. Can't wait to see them in real life.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting reading reviews on the Pan America when it hits the street. I am hoping for two things. I hope it's actually competitive. And I hope riders don't automatically discredit it just because of the brand. Unfortunately the later has already been happening, before anyone's actually seen or ridden the thing.

And right now that's HD's biggest problem.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I guess some will like it, I frankly don't like the way it looks, tiny-ass front fender, weird looking exhaust pipes,
kind of unbalanced with that arm supporting the rear fender and lights . The gent said he is 6foot 5inches and
had to lean forward. I'm sure it has loads of power and could be pretty smooth.

I'm sure the quality is pretty good but to me, this bike won't cut the mustard, I'll stick with what I like the looks
of, my 91 Sporty and 2015 stage 1'd wide glide. Thanks anyways.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts