Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 1978 Harley-Davidson Electra glide. (handed down from my grandfather who bought it new) it is becoming a lot of work to keep running and much more work to keep it running super safe. so this brings me to consider a new motorcycle. now this being my first purchase i would like to be as informed as i can be. my first question is this, what is the depreciation/appreciation of a Harley v.s. say a Yamaha or another make of bike (don't get me wrong ideally if i had the money i would keep the old Harley and get a new one but i am working on a much smaller budget here, i can only have one and Harley is still out of my price range unless i have convincing evidence that it WILL be worth the extra money)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I think the Sportster line of bikes is very competitive price-wise with just about anything else out there.

The dual cams are priced a bit higher, comparable to the Victories or top-end models of metric cruisers.

Historically, the Harleys hold their resale value very well compared to other makes.

The "Big 4" metric cruisers are also excellent bikes. I don't think you can go wrong either way you choose to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, i will take that into some consideration. I started looking at the sportsters, and they are at a very competitive price, more so than i thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i just got a 12oo xl custom sportster, its sweet. it was used. lots of chrome handles well, very forgiving on the shifting. and fast

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Best bang for the buck would be to find a used Shadow or Vulcan in my opinion. Yes, the Harleys are excellent bikes (my ragging on them asside, thats just for ammusement) but a used one will generally cost a good deal more than a used Japanese bike.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I never noticed the dates of the earlier posts...

IT'S A ZOMBIE THREAD! SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts