Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been to the show. It's looking like it's between these two, if I buy new. Pick one.

Harley Davidson Street 750
Price
$7,829
Engine
Revolution X™ V-Twin, 46 cu in 750 cc, Liquid cooled, 57.6hp, 44.4 ft-lb torque, Comp 11:1
Fuel
3.5 gallons, 91 octane, 50 mpg (175 mpt) 41-50 reported
Transmission
Six speed, belt
Wheels
Front 100/80 R17, Cast
Rear 140/75 R15, Cast
Suspension
Front Suspension 37mm fork, 5.5 inches travel
Rear Suspension twin shock, 3.5 inches travel
Brakes
Caliper Type 2-piston floated front and rear
Weight
489 pounds
Seat Height
27.9 inches
Wheel Base
60.4 inches
Valve Adjust
Manual, screw and nut, under gas tank and seat

Honda CTX700N
Price
$6,999
Engine
670cc, liquid-cooled, parallel-twin, 43.56hp, 41.9 ft-lb torque, Comp 10.7:1
Fuel
3.17 gallons, 87 octane, 64mpg (192 mpt) 64+ reported
Transmission
Six speed, chain
Wheels
Front 120/70-17, Cast
Rear 160/60-17, Cast
Suspension
Front Suspension 41mm fork, 4.2 inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link single shock, 4.3 inches travel
Brakes
Front, Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper
Rear, Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper
Weight
478 pounds
Seat Height
28 inches
Wheel Base
60.2 inches
Valve Adjust
Manual, screw and nut, behind radiator

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,146 Posts
$800
60 cc
14 hp
4 lb of torque

too close to call. you will have to go on how it feels under you.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
All the specs you posted are great fodder for people to discuss on Internet forums, but most of them mean next to nothing when the MOST important question is considered.

Look at both bikes. Consider their features. Compare their pricing. Maybe even do up a spreadsheet or something. But in the end, buy the bike that will come closest to making you happy and proud of your purchase. Buy the bike that you fall in love with. Follow your heart.

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Specs

Kind of like getting all of the specs on two ladies. Tough way to make a choice.

A few years ago, I went to the bike show and sat on all the bikes I was interested in. Many did not fit.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would buy the one that makes you happy. I knew from the moment I rode my bike that I may not be getting that one, but I would be getting a Strat. It just fit me and felt right.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
If your heart won't rest until you own a Harley, then your mind is already made up and you won't admit it to yourself.

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,887 Posts
All the specs you posted are great fodder for people to discuss on Internet forums, but most of them mean next to nothing when the MOST important question is considered.

Look at both bikes. Consider their features. Compare their pricing. Maybe even do up a spreadsheet or something. But in the end, buy the bike that will come closest to making you happy and proud of your purchase. Buy the bike that you fall in love with. Follow your heart.

Can't Top that Answer .. Other than Test Ride and Decide if Possible .. Both dealers in my area of Honda and HD both allow this, others don't ..

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sheesh. I'll never ask yall's advice on women. Have me riding Ru Paul when Fairuza Balk is available, just to be sure. :p

Soupy, I wonder if a similar comment would have been made if it were between a Suzuki and a Yamaha. I've read a lot of forums, articles and comments in my research on a new bike. One can hardly type Harley Davidson without a comment as such, or a full blown tirade- for pages. No brand invokes such emotion as HD.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
No brand invokes such emotion as HD.
You're right about that.

And if you do choose the Harley just keep in mind that the mere name of your bike is going to cause some people to get offended, pizzed off, insecure, jealous, or maybe all of the above, to the extent that most other brands won't.:)

Luckily, most motorcycle riders aren't like that, regardless of what brand they ride. The ones that are probably feel inadequate about something in their own lives and they try to correct that by yapping about other people's rides. But their issues really don't concern you, so buy what you desire, ride what you love, be proud and stand tall. I've said it before: At the end of the day when you park your bike and walk away, if you don't look back over your shoulder and think, "Oh, Hell yeah!" you bought the wrong bike.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
And yeah, the same kind of thing applies when asking for advice on women.

Like Crusty said, statistics aren't always the best way to decide. :) So if you want to try swinging your leg over several different rides, then by all means, go ahead! Take as many as you're interested in for a spin, or two. Or more. Even if you want to try to ride Ron Paul or Farrah Balzac or who ever, who am I to judge? It's your journey amigo.

Bikes or Babes, I'm still going to tell you that the most important thing is to choose the one that you love, and that you'll be happy with. Follow your heart.

(Plus, it's your ride, and you have to be happy with what you have, so do you really want someone like me to decide for you?) :wink:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"if you do choose the Harley just keep in mind that the mere name of your bike is going to cause some people to get offended, pizzed off...."

I have to say I'm a bit surprised by those particular choices of potential responses.

"Offended:" Really? Why? Elaborate please.

"Pizzed Off:" Huh? Since when? Care to develop this a bit?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I have no idea why some people develop such responses to a motorcycle they don't ride, nor do I much care, so I can't really expand on it much.

Maybe it's because of the "superior attitude" that we Harley riders show? :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The specs might be similar, but those 2 bikes must feel completely different when sat on & ridden. I'd be surprised if, after you sat & test rode both bikes, you were still undecided which one to get.

I remember my wife was very interested in the Suzuki M50 based on what she read about it. But as soon as she sat on one at the dealership she realized right away it just "felt wrong" for her, so she continued shopping other models/brands.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
As others have said, follow your own heart. Don't let peer pressure, (or people on the forums), decide what you should or shouldn't buy. Go out and find your own ride. Otherwise you won't be happy with the outcome. As much as I love my bike, (one of the bikes you mentioned above) it may or may not be the bike for you. Only you can decide that. I also agree with the comment about saying "Oh hell yeah!" after a ride. But I might also suggest you should be saying it before, (while you're getting dressed and ready to go) and during, (while you're carving up some twisty road), and not just after the ride is over. I've been riding this bike for two seasons, and I still get all giddy before a ride.:)
As for the brand BSing, it won't matter what you buy, "the haters gonna hate." So pick something YOU like, and let the haters "burn their eyes on you moving".:biggrin:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the love of kittens! I'm only asking for your opinions on two bikes based on the data provided and whatever other data is available to you. Jeez. Yeah. Try some out. Buy what I want. Wipe my butt after pooping. Got it. Roger. 10-4. Ive been maintaining a heartbeat for a few decades now.

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
Personally I'm not one for buying a first year bike. I let those with deeper pockets and patience ferret out the bugs in those as well as what addition they need. So I'd go the Honda even it was a first year too simply because Honda has made that size before. I don't no if it is or not cause I kinda look at Harleys and Indians. But if I had to choose that's where I'd go.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
For the love of kittens! I'm only asking for your opinions on two bikes based on the data provided and whatever other data is available to you. Jeez. Yeah. Try some out. Buy what I want. Wipe my butt after pooping. Got it. Roger. 10-4. Ive been maintaining a heartbeat for a few decades now.
Bines you've been contemplating buying these and or similar bikes for quite a while now. I can't believe anyone on this forum has studied the stats more than you and has anything else to add. Now it seems you're even upset because we cant. You are the forum expert on the numbers. All thats left are heartfelt opinions and riding impressions. And maybe, even buying one? Flip a coin. Take a leap. Poop or get off the pot. I guess I don't need to remind you to wipe when you're done.;)

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Suzuki or Yamaha

Sheesh. I'll never ask yall's advice on women.

Soupy, I wonder if a similar comment would have been made if it were between a Suzuki and a Yamaha. HD.
Ah, the old Suzuki or Yamaha question. Quite easy to answer. Get a Suzuki first, and then a Yamaha. Any more questions?
If you are having trouble deciding on the perfect bike, why not buy something to ride in the meantime. That might give you some insight, and help with your choice. Lots of good inexpensive bikes about.
It will be hard to say you are waiting for spring, given your location.

As for women, I know several ladies who are statistically the same, yet there are huge differences between them. I am with the one that moves me. Same thing with my Suzuki, and that is what many of the guys are saying.

Don Quixote is a good story about chasing things.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 134 Posts