Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I currently ride a Suzuki 400 and is having carb issue but that's beside the point. And I have a Harley question and advice from you guys. I have always wanted a Harley but I am into the more vintage and older bikes as I like the look better. I would love an older bare bones shovelhead but I just don't have the money for a shovelhead but I also like the vintage ironheads but after reading some people's thoughts and "reviews" on them it didn't sound so good. So I am wondering what is a good Harley for a cheaper price I just want something that runs good as I like a bike that looks a little down and dirty. I am not interested in new sportsters like 90s and newer the 883s and newer 1200s just aren't for me. So I was wondering if there is any or what a good Harley would be for around 4000 I would like advice in the vintage 70s to 80s era Harleys thanks for your Harley advice.

Peace

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
I've got a soft spot for the Evolution engine. I think the Evo was probably the best engine Harley ever made. Can still be found in the Sporters though that you said you don't care for. But you can get a Electra Glide in the late 80's and make just about anything you desire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only sportsters that are not for me are the new ones I like the 80's sportsters, they just have a different looks than the new ones, I have a soft spot for vintage motorcycles. And they just have an older styles the new ones got a little too sporty for me and the older ones got a nice old school look

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I like the Ironheads too, but if I was going to be looking for one it would be an 80's model as they continued to improve it right up to the end. A lot of earlier changes were made in 1974 or 1975 too, such as the change to a left side gear shifter.

Another idea would be to get an earlier Evo XL that's in your price range and start "back dating" it as you can afford to buy parts and so forth. I've seen quite a few nicely done retro bobbers that were based on EVO Sportsters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Or use the $4K for a down payment on a new FLSTN softtail deluxe. Looks old, is new, and you'll avoid the headaches of used bikes.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I guess I don't know what the "newer" ones look like.

"Other" brands have evolved a lot in aesthetics, Harley Davidson, not so much.

There are clues on my 2014 back to the 1950's.

MOST people, other than aficionados, if you lined up 10 Sportsters, all of them being clean, wouldn't be able to tell you the newer ones from the older ones.

Sportsters to this day have Evo engines.

I know a guy that painted one and used certain accessories, it looks like a mid 1940's Army surplus Flathead 45.

....and there ain't no such thing as a cheap Harley...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts