Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
474 Posts
Ouch! I hope you got some good pain killers.
I don't take any kind of drugs ...., Wife told doctor , don't waste your time writing prescriptions , He won't take it .... found pills about a year later , tossed rhem ...

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
474 Posts
No, worse yet , tennis shoes . Kid was practicing , could'nt get that jump . I said , let me try , you take a rest . No drugs or alcohol involved ..... Steel toe experiance happened years later .. A friend lost 3 toes when he crashed his hardley ... other friend just broke foot in his crash .... yep , steel toe boots .. Wear them if you want , don't come crying later .......

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
No, worse yet , tennis shoes . Kid was practicing , could'nt get that jump . I said , let me try , you take a rest . No drugs or alcohol involved ..... Steel toe experiance happened years later .. A friend lost 3 toes when he crashed his hardley ... other friend just broke foot in his crash .... yep , steel toe boots .. Wear them if you want , don't come crying later .......
I would feel confident saying more foot injuries have occurred to those wearing tennis shoes than steel toe boots. So, how did he lose 3 toes in a Harley crash? I'm not doubting that he did, I'm trying to understand exactly how? And how common that would be? And, yes riders will wear what they want and crying about it is still their option.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try on a pair , then get your foot in a bind . Boot folds , steel cap does not .. Not that hard to imagine once it happens ...

·
Ace Tuner
4,645 Posts
Doug Polen, a professional roadrace rider that sometimes came back to run with us in the CRRC (semi-pro club where he and other stars started out) crashed during a Pro race and I believe due to foot / chain / sprocket getting mixed together lost some part/s of his right foot. I think some of his outside toes but not sure. I am sure he was not wearing steel toe boots as I've never known a pro that did.
I would not be able to feel the shifter well enough or even get my foot under the shifter with steel toes.
I wonder what might happen if a guy got a foot caught in the chain / sprocket with steel in the toe? :eek:

S F

·
Registered
474 Posts
I doubt we'll ever know . Most intelligent people have proper footwear . I worked oilfield for many years , Just did'nt ever think about it , Until my buddy lost his toes ...,

·
Visionary
6,008 Posts
We as of the last year have to wear hard toe boots at work, even management has to wear them , steel or composite, so I ride in them to and from work too, mine are composite . I see your point, the insert could do damage in some kind of incident but it could help too, you just never know.
We did have a hard toe boot save someone’s foot the other day at work, he dropped a couple hundred pound piece of steel and it landed on his foot, corner down. It slightly penetrated the insert and he had a very minor toenail injury, without the Hard toe I feel confident it would have cut off his toes. He was lucky it didn’t hit behind the insert, that would have been bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think there is very little value in wearing steel/composite toe boots while riding when there are many other better choices. Of course there are exception such as @mike721 occupation, or perhaps the cost when you already have a pair of hard toes. I have done some additional searches and still cannot find any published works on the risk factor of steel toes while riding. No doubt there has been a rider that incurred foot damage while riding and wearing steel toes, but what is the risk factor? Would it be consider a freak injury or is it some other percentage of risk? And how much fault would be do the rider for their actions? No one has yet provided any details. Although I do not wear steel/composite toe boots, I would think any quality well care for pair that also provided axle protection would be a giant leap ahead of more common sneaker type.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Although I do not wear steel/composite toe boots, I would think any quality well care for pair that also provided axle protection would be a giant leap ahead of more common sneaker type.
I agree with wearing the proper foot protection. I should do that, every time, but I don't. I hope it don't come back to bite me in the bu ... foot.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
10,154 Posts
I usually wear special Dr. Comfort, all leather Deck shoes, Slacks, Dress Shirt and a light wind breaker, which is ATGATT for me, for street riding. 60 years of riding and never a street crash so my gear works! Knock on wood and thank you JESUS. :bigthumb: Sam:cool:

·
Registered
474 Posts
We as of the last year have to wear hard toe boots at work, even management has to wear them , steel or composite, so I ride in them to and from work too, mine are composite . I see your point, the insert could do damage in some kind of incident but it could help too, you just never know.
We did have a hard toe boot save someone’s foot the other day at work, he dropped a couple hundred pound piece of steel and it landed on his foot, corner down. It slightly penetrated the insert and he had a very minor toenail injury, without the Hard toe I feel confident it would have cut off his toes. He was lucky it didn’t hit behind the insert, that would have been bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure , everything that fell on my foot seemed th hit right behind insert . But they also have saved my toes ....

41 - 60 of 63 Posts