Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
4,641 Posts
Back in the mid 1980's this was a common type of roadrace boot. Bates still sells them and now calls them classic. I believe the logic at the time was your boots should help keep broken bones in place as best as possible. After my last pair of street boots gave up I dig out my old Bates (now "classic") roadrace boots. After some re-conditioning I can ware them again.
Shoe Synthetic rubber Boot Work boots Fashion design

Apparently armor to help avoid broken bones is the new logic for boots now...

Sports gear Outdoor shoe Font Elbow pad Sports equipment

@HarleyHoney
We need to do the best we can to make sure and give the absolute best advice possible for you concerning your "leathers".
Lots more pics from virtually every angle are needed for us to accomplish this important task so.... 📸

S F

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
When things go wrong foot gear needs to protect more than just the ankle. With 28 bones, 33 joints, 100 tendons, along with the ligaments and muscles they are far more complicated to repair. You should have substantial protection from the calf down including the tipping toe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The truth is that you don't really need a lot of safety gear when your riding consists of going at 25 mph for a mile to the local HD tavern gathering, letting the bike sit parked at the tavarn for much of the day, and then riding a mile home at 25 mph. I think HD clothing is made for that kind of riding, or for no riding at all. I had a neighbor who for years talked to me about getting a motorcycle. I rode a Honda, then a Kawasaki during those years, but he kept hesitating to get a bike or to learn how to ride. Then he went and bought a new HD crusier with all the belts and whistles and a TON of HD clothing and accessories for himself and his wife. He hardly ever actually rode, saying he just couldn't stand the thought of getting his bike dirty, but both he and his wife wore NOTHING other than HD clothing from that moment on, 24/7. The bike developed an electrical problem and sat at the HD dealership for several months while they tried to fix it, and my neighbor was not in the least bit upset that he could not be out riding. He still had his HD clothes, which was the really important thing for him. I am sure that he was/is a more typical HD owner than you might think, and HD knows to make clothes just for this segment of the market. All that said, I must admit that the best pair of fingerless gloves that I have ever owned (and still use often) were bought at a HD dealership.
Haha great story vito!
I also noticed this trend among a segment of the HD crowd. Start your bike up and cruise through town to meet others at a bar or coffee shop then ride home, never exceeding 40km/h or even hitting the highways. Having seen the damage asphalt can do not only to skin, but basic clothing, I still wouldn't want to go down in any of the above leather, even if I was only going 25mph or so.

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
452 Posts
When things go wrong foot gear needs to protect more than just the ankle. With 28 bones, 33 joints, 100 tendons, along with the ligaments and muscles they are far more complicated to repair. You should have substantial protection from the calf down including the tipping toe.
Hand Cloud Tints and shades Font Darkness
Hand Cloud Water Sky Gas
Hand Cloud Tints and shades Font Darkness

Hand Cloud Water Sky Gas

Here's the proof , you need protection

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,360 Posts

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
452 Posts
It appears that someone decided it would be clever to kick a metal porcupine.
No , It was a triple gone wrong . Bike landed on foot .. Put me up , well , down for 3 yrs. Before walking with walker , 10 yrs. Between crash and riding again . Tough times .

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
575 Posts
No kidding....this is what happens when you hit a deer at about 50 mph - there were 2 broken toes on the right foot.
Grey Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Athletic shoe Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
29 Posts
Steel toe boots are the worst decision ever ... Many riders lose toes , and feet parts with them .. ,.,,.. They don't give , and break bones , just behind where they don't bend ....
Right. I want my foot to bend inside my shoe when it hits a solid object. I want my toes to bend when they hit a solid object. Try hitting your toes with a hammer. Now try that again with a steel toe riding boot. You were saying?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Right. I want my foot to bend inside my shoe when it hits a solid object. I want my toes to bend when they hit a solid object. Try hitting your toes with a hammer. Now try that again with a steel toe riding boot. You were saying?
You obviously have never seen a mangled foot from a steel toe accident .., the boot bends , the steel toe does not .. Breaking the foot behind toes .. Google it ....

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Steel toed boots/shoes are required for some jobs. I don't think they were originally made for motorcyclists, but I haven't bothered to look it up so I could be wrong. Anyhow, like most safety equipment, if not used properly can cause more harm than good, but does the few times it causes harm outweigh all the times it helped?

The whole argument is similar to "Do I ride because I like to?" or "Do I not ride because it is dangerous?" Personal choice I think, (except on a job site).

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You obviously have never seen a mangled foot from a steel toe accident .., the boot bends , the steel toe does not .. Breaking the foot behind toes .. Google it ....
I did some of those searches and couldn't find any mention of a motorcyclist foot being injured by a steel toe boot. Do you have a link to "a mangled foot from a steel toe accident"?

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
Years ago Charlie related the story of a trucker that had a stack of wood fall on his foot. Was a stacked and wyred pallet, 8 feet X 4 X. About tons minimum.
It crushed the steel toe and severely cut the guys big toe. Charlie chuckled because the guy passed out when he saw his foot.
A pair of army boats that I use to ride in, have steel tows. If i thought it was a problem I would not use them. In insurance language we have to consider the odds of an event happening. I consider the odds of my boats causing injury, about zero.
My most severe road racing injury came from a rock and head meeting at about 80. Not a direct hit. Same crash tore the heal pad off one boot. Never had any leather damage.
No injuries from cross country racing. Got a toe caught in a root that tore a knee cartilage piece while motocross racing. And cartwheeled into a tree, that damaged my leather pants and poked a hole in my upper leg. Still have a funny bump in the muscle. No crashes on public highways. And that is the best protection. No crashes.

The quality of the leather would be important. Quality first, fashion next. A fashionable pair of leather pants, would be better than what many guys wear.
A good leather jacket cuts the wind quite well, but a rain coat also needs to be carried IMO. Leather is usually more fashionable than other jackets. Fashion is not my strong point. That is Shirley's job. Her leather jacket looks real sharp. Not sure where she got it. Might have been the HD shop, as they have the stuff. UK

21 - 40 of 63 Posts