Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,233 Posts
The truth is that you don't really need a lot of safety gear when your riding consists of going at 25 mph for a mile to the local HD tavern gathering, letting the bike sit parked at the tavarn for much of the day, and then riding a mile home at 25 mph. I think HD clothing is made for that kind of riding, or for no riding at all. I had a neighbor who for years talked to me about getting a motorcycle. I rode a Honda, then a Kawasaki during those years, but he kept hesitating to get a bike or to learn how to ride. Then he went and bought a new HD crusier with all the belts and whistles and a TON of HD clothing and accessories for himself and his wife. He hardly ever actually rode, saying he just couldn't stand the thought of getting his bike dirty, but both he and his wife wore NOTHING other than HD clothing from that moment on, 24/7. The bike developed an electrical problem and sat at the HD dealership for several months while they tried to fix it, and my neighbor was not in the least bit upset that he could not be out riding. He still had his HD clothes, which was the really important thing for him. I am sure that he was/is a more typical HD owner than you might think, and HD knows to make clothes just for this segment of the market. All that said, I must admit that the best pair of fingerless gloves that I have ever owned (and still use often) were bought at a HD dealership.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,233 Posts
Boots serve two main purposes. A good sole to avoid slippage when you put your foot down at a stop, and ankle coverage to protect the joint when you are sliding/rolling/grinding across the pavement. I used to wear mostly "shortie" or shoe-type boots as long as they had decent ankle protection. But when I switched to 3 wheels, to a Can Am Spyder, I found myself wearing boots of any kind less and less of the time. The type of sole of whatever I am wearing is immaterial as I do not put a foot down when stopping. I also do not need a reinforced leather top for the shift lever (because there is no such lever on a Spyder) and while I could still end up on the road it seems much less likely than when riding a 2 wheeler. So most of the time I just wear whatever I had on when I decided to go out for a ride, like New Balance sneakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts