Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't know, I'm kind of liking the fashion I'm seeing here......oh, it's about safety! So, go with what the others have already said. On the other hand, please keep wearing those Harley leather things, and keep posing for those photos, and for sure keep posting them. I'm liking this thread, a lot!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
When things go wrong foot gear needs to protect more than just the ankle. With 28 bones, 33 joints, 100 tendons, along with the ligaments and muscles they are far more complicated to repair. You should have substantial protection from the calf down including the tipping toe.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You obviously have never seen a mangled foot from a steel toe accident .., the boot bends , the steel toe does not .. Breaking the foot behind toes .. Google it ....
I did some of those searches and couldn't find any mention of a motorcyclist foot being injured by a steel toe boot. Do you have a link to "a mangled foot from a steel toe accident"?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
No, worse yet , tennis shoes . Kid was practicing , could'nt get that jump . I said , let me try , you take a rest . No drugs or alcohol involved ..... Steel toe experiance happened years later .. A friend lost 3 toes when he crashed his hardley ... other friend just broke foot in his crash .... yep , steel toe boots .. Wear them if you want , don't come crying later .......
I would feel confident saying more foot injuries have occurred to those wearing tennis shoes than steel toe boots. So, how did he lose 3 toes in a Harley crash? I'm not doubting that he did, I'm trying to understand exactly how? And how common that would be? And, yes riders will wear what they want and crying about it is still their option.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think there is very little value in wearing steel/composite toe boots while riding when there are many other better choices. Of course there are exception such as @mike721 occupation, or perhaps the cost when you already have a pair of hard toes. I have done some additional searches and still cannot find any published works on the risk factor of steel toes while riding. No doubt there has been a rider that incurred foot damage while riding and wearing steel toes, but what is the risk factor? Would it be consider a freak injury or is it some other percentage of risk? And how much fault would be do the rider for their actions? No one has yet provided any details. Although I do not wear steel/composite toe boots, I would think any quality well care for pair that also provided axle protection would be a giant leap ahead of more common sneaker type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts