Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD I'm back...
I've been a life long motorcycle rider, I got my first Harley back in '94- a beat to sh*t sportster I ran into the ground. I graduated to a new road king in 97, that bike was the love of my life. I stripped it down to a fat looking FLH. In the late summer of 2006 I let a friend borrow it for the afternoon-that's where my love with Harley went wrong.

My buddy totaled the bike, he was fine. I wanted to murder him...but it was my fault for letting him ride it. I took the insurance $ and bought a new 06 roadking. I thought that there had to be improvements as it was new- the sales guy told me it was better than my old EVO.. That twin cam 88 5 speed was a slug, I put 3 grand more into that bike to make it quicker, better sounding, etc. with no luck! I yearned for the performance and feel of my old EVO.

In 2011 I sold it and went to BMW. I loved the performance and euro style but yearned for the soul of HD. I continued to go bigger and more $$ in the BMW line, continued to hang out with my HD friends, still went to sturgis, took the ribbing and snide comments in stride. I would always have the come back of "Harley Davidson- yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices"

Fast forward to a month ago, I went on a mountain ride with a bunch of friends-mostly HD guys. My buddy had just got a new 14 electraglide classic, 103 motor, gorgeous bike. I was on my BMW RT - a quick powerful sport touring bike, I had a smirk on my face-I will still leave these guys in the dust on mountain curves and straight a ways I thought. I was wrong- the new electraglide kept up, and even passed me here and there. I asked him if I could ride it- hell no - get your own bike he said...

The following weekend I went and test rode a 14 street glide- I was smiling ear to ear- BMW- our brief affair was over.... Harley Davidson I'm back!!! The handling , power, and sure footedness of this bike is amazing , the technological improvements were pretty surprising- and it's still stock! I can't wait to hop it up. I'm in love again!!

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Glad to have you back in the HD family! I know exactly how you feel regarding the "soul" of a Harley Davidson.

I have my Night Rod Special, and I also have a Ninja ZX-10R, it is STUPID fast (400lb, 170hp, 80lb TQ sportbike) and while it is an absolute blast to ride I find myself riding the Harley way more. It has that "soul" that My Ninja and other bikes ive ridden just dont have.

Enjoy your new purchase! Post some pics when you can

1 - 3 of 3 Posts