Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunday after church was nice, so I hopped on my CBR300R and rode the 60-some miles to a state park and historic site I hadn't visited in at least 40 years. As I pulled in to the parking area, I saw only one other person, a gnarly-looking old dude on an old but immaculately-kept Electroglide. He was the epitome of the hardcore, "mature" Harley rider -- about 70, long gray ponytail and beard, leather vest and chaps. I gave him a little wave as I pulled to a stop. He gave me a rather baleful glare in return.

I dropped the kickstand, shut down the bike, took my time pulling off the gloves and helmet, watching him out of the corner of my eye. When I removed the full-face helmet, I saw him do a bit of a double-take. Folks don't expect a bald, white-bearded 65-year-old on a crotch rocket! I said, "How's it going?" He replied, "Sorry I didn't wave when you came in. I was expecting some punk-ass kid on that bike." I said, "Yeah, and I was expecting some crotchety old fart when I saw yours. Looks like I'm the better guesser!"

He laughed, and we got out of the sun and sat at a picnic table in the shade for a pleasant hour, drank water, smoked a few cigarettes, and just generally chewed the fat. When we left we rode together for about 20 miles through the surrounding National Forest, me burning him in the curves, him blowing me away in the straightaways, before we gave each other a friendly wave and parted company for home.

There's no accounting for tastes, but no reason we can't get along!:wink2::smile_big:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That's a good story and deserves a reply.

Being a survivor, I participated in a poker run for the cancer society of my county that actually Helps during your medical treatment. They assist people with mileage re-imbursements and also stuff like nutritional liquids.

All the guys but me had Harleys. none even talked to me so i just kept my place near the back. We went through the ritual start up throttle blipping, but the only way i knew my bike was running was the tach. After the third stop, the beer started to kick in and the rest of them talked more and thought my center stand was cool. ["79 CB750 Honda] I did not fit in and did not try to, but once a few of them learned that I survived a nasty one with a 20% survival rate, they seemed to respect that. Me, I just stayed all the way back once I saw how much beer they drank....

Another time, I did a cold run to pick up a tool 45 miles from home. One of my favorite rides so far. The winter sun was at my back on the way home and the farm land took on a beautiful warm golden glow. The temps dipped to the low 20's I stopped at a restaurant in the tiny town of Bartonia, iN to warm up slamming down some coffee.
I shrugged into my Carhartts and helmet and was going out the door when a guy came in wearing a really nice Harley jacket. He said, You ride that bike here? Yup.I sure as he!! did not push it. Where from? Muncie, [Indiana]. Holy ****! you must have [man parts] the size of baseballs! Well, yeah, but that can be a problem on these bumpy roads.... :smile_big:

I love to leave them laughing

·
Registered
501 Posts
After the third stop, the beer started to kick in and the rest of them talked more and thought my center stand was cool. ["79 CB750 Honda] ... Me, I just stayed all the way back once I saw how much beer they drank....
This is a good story and nice to hear, but yikes. I hope the drinking and riding is not representative of HD culture. I don't see that sticking around as part of their "new direction."

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a good story and nice to hear, but yikes. I hope the drinking and riding is not representative of HD culture. I don't see that sticking around as part of their "new direction."
You know, there are plenty of open-invitation charity rallies and rides in my area all year 'round, and I'd really like to join in some of them. Problem is, just about every darned one of them starts at Bar A, proceeds to Bars B, C, D and E, and ends up at Bar F. I'm no teetotaler, by any means, but drinking and riding just do not mix in my book, so I stay away. The only non-drinking events I am aware of are held by two Christian groups, and one of them is White Identity-oriented and the other consists of rather rude Harley devotees who won't even wave back at me when I ride by on my Japanese cruiser, neither of which attitudes strike me as particularly Christian and certainly not very friendly.:sad:

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
So I won the slow race at a Harley event riding my rice burner while wearing a full face helmet.
(I always wear a helmet so that's the norm for me).
ALL the Harley riders cheered like crazy when I won the race.
I've found that how you 'carry yourself' means a lot to well, everyone... Obvious skill helps too.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
I have never had an issue with other riders, but I don't get my panties in a wad if someone doesn't wave and I hope they don't either if for some reason I don't wave back.

Reactions: GatorJoe
1 - 7 of 7 Posts