Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any yall use a website to order nuts and bolts and stuff? Some site out there that has the exact piece of hardware you're looking for?

I need mounting hardware for panniers, and can't find exactly what I want at Lowe's or Ace, and the manufacturer doesn't sell just those pieces. It's just bolts, washers and spacers. No brackets or anything really one off or proprietary.

Thanks.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I've always been able to find a hardware store solution if I'm unable to get an OEM bolt or screw.

Some fabrication might be needed. What is special about these parts that makes them different from off-the shelf hardware?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Length and head. Can't find the in between length I need. Cutting to fit is possible. It takes a sharp eye and steady hand though, with just a Dremel and a pair of vice grips. The heads are Allen hex type wide stove top. Would have to make up the diameter of the head with a washer.

The spacers are three different lengths and I can't find the same thickness as Honda's. Thickness may not matter, so long as it's close, as they seem to be only talking up length space. I've already cut two ss spacers into three the lengths I need.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ditton on McMaster-Carr and Fastenal. They have or can get everything my local Ace can't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Totally forgot about McMaster-Carr and thought Fastenal was only for whole box orders. Good to know I can singles there.

"Allen hex type wide stove top" is actually called Plain Button Head Socket Cap Screw. This is why I try to bring an example with me. :p

My home cut spacer worked. I found these threaded top hat looking things (This is why I try to bring an example with me. :p ) to use in place of the other spacers. The rest of the hardware worked well enough, until I get to the local Fastenal. And lock washers. Yeah. Try and back out now. Got you on lock down!

·
Premium Member
8,906 Posts
Bits and pieces

I go to the boat chandlery. Use 3/16 and 1/4 stainless nuts and bolts.
To the scrap metal place for 1 X 1/4 aluminum, and 1 x 1 angle aluminum and maybe some 1 1/2 X 1 1/2. Use the miter saw to cut it. Easy to drill.
I use nylock nuts. For small brackets I will use thin strips of stainless steel.
Everything rusts around here, real pain. Aluminum and SS survive better.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts