Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1969 Yamaha YAS1 2 stroke has just started playing up. It is almost impossible to change gear with the clutch in (up or down). Without using the clutch it is easy to change gears. Can anybody point me in the right direction? What should I look at first?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by hard to change gears. Do you mean the shift lever has resistance and is hard to move?

·
American Legion Rider
22,174 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by hard to change gears. Do you mean the shift lever has resistance and is hard to move?
That would be my guess. Almost sounds like a wire strand in the cable broke and is now binding the movement. If so he might try lubing but ultimately a cable change would be needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. Hard to shift as in, if I compress the clutch lever it is almost impossible to move the shift lever into another gear. Without the use of the clutch it moves relatively easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be my guess. Almost sounds like a wire strand in the cable broke and is now binding the movement. If so he might try lubing but ultimately a cable change would be needed.
Thanks for your advice hogcowboy. I have sourced a new cable, as the old one is pretty stuffed by the looks. Will respond again once it arrives.

·
American Legion Rider
22,174 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Hard to shift as in, if I compress the clutch lever it is almost impossible to move the shift lever into another gear. Without the use of the clutch it moves relatively easily.
I'm not familiar with clutches enough to help here, so one of you mechanics jump in. This is sounding like it isn't the cable but something inside the clutch itself. Could a bent shift fork or something else cause this? This ability to shift relatively easy unless the clutch lever is pulled suggests to me that something then gets in the way. So what else other than the shift fork can get in the way of shifting? I'm just not so sure a new cable is going to help unless he isn't actually getting the clutch fully disengaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts