Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1982 Kz1000 LTD runs very good. However, if I let it sit for a couple of days it won't start until I use starting fluid. The choke does seem to work it is one of the 2 stage chokes. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
:icon_cool:

·
Chris
341 Posts
its añ old bike, maybe a carb rebuild is in order. but it definetly needs a cleaning.
when was the last time this was done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had it rebuilt last summer. Done at Kawasaki dealer in Defiance Ohio. They do good work and the bike runs excellent. Once it starts the choke seems to work like it always has. I bought the bike new and know it well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not checked compression. I do drain the tank and carb bowels when I put the bike away for the winter. If the compression was bad I don't think it would run as good as it does. The bike only has 20,000 miles on it. Thanks for the response.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I do drain the tank and carb bowels when I put the bike away for the winter.
There may have been some rust built up in the tank from sitting empty that made it's way down into the tiny carb passages. It's a good idea to fill the tank all the way up with treated fuel during winter storage to prevent corrosion. It's hard to say without inspecting the inside of the tank.

A check of the spark plug color will let you know if there is a fuel mixture issue.

You could also pull the spark plugs after an attempted start to see if fuel is making into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stuff

FYI those don't have a choke its an enrichener . opens a seperate circuit in the float bowl and adds extra fuel. They could be plugged or just plain not working right. -------just sayin :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I am in no way, shape or form a mechanic, but.....I have a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700 that also has an enrichner (even though it is labeled choke). Anyway, we had to clean the carbs last year and ended up putting a fuel filter in line. We got it from Auto Zone and you could see thru it. We were shocked at the stuff that it caught. I would just about bet rust from the empty gas tank got in the carbs...that is what happened to mine.

Hopefully he got it fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

Fwiw, if your bike has an enrichener on it for starting, sometimes it maybe just your technique. For starting you should leave the throttle at idle for the enrichener to work properly. If you are twisting the throttle as you start, the enrichener will not add the extra fuel needed to start a cold engine.

Starting fluid should rarely be needed to start a gasoline engine. Starting fluid is very hard on an engine and will damage it. If you have to use it, chances are something is wrong with the fuel delivery system and it should be repaired before you cause yourself a big hole in your wallet.

Hope this helps

Carlos G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts