Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a question and I can't figure out what the answer is, and I was hoping you guys might have some insight.

I'm getting a new 2013 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and I am looking at in the next few months getting Mutazu hard saddlebags (can't link anything yet sorry :frown:)

I was looking on the website and it says it's not DOT approved. While I was looking I noticed there are a few hard bags that have lights on them that also say this. What I can't figure out is why they aren't DOT approved, and if there is any way to make it so that they are.

The only thing I can think of is that they have to say it so people won't try to remove their actual brake light and use these instead or is it because they aren't yellow? I would have thought three brake lights would be better than just one.

Thanks a bunch for any insight you can give.

C

·
0 Posts
Funny that you that you asked this question because back in 2006 I was going to add some handbags to a 2006 Shadow Spirit 1100 that had lights on them but decided not to buy them because of what you just mentioned. I decided to just move my current signal lights back next to my brake light instead.

So I will sit and see the replies because it is a question I want a answer for also.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
The DOT specifies a brightness and beam pattern, which they either can't meet, or just don't want to pay to have them tested. In any case, your bike has to have a minimum of DOT-approved lighting, and adding these would be OK in most states, as long as you retain the DOT-approved lights. You may want to check with your state highway patrol or inspection station to see if it's OK in your state.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You may want to check with your state highway patrol or inspection station to see if it's OK in your state.
^^^This.

(If you're concerned about that kind of thing.)

The DOT can't write you a ticket, but the state and local police can. Check with the people that know the relevant laws and would be the ones who write you up if you violate them.:)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
So some states it's illegal to add extra lights above and beyond the lights already on your bike? LOL Now I'm worried, I just added LED lights to my saddlebags... about to post them in a new thread.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
So some states it's illegal to add extra lights above and beyond the lights already on your bike? LOL Now I'm worried, I just added LED lights to my saddlebags... about to post them in a new thread.
Depends; if the lights are the correct color for the location, most won't bother you. If you put blue lights on the sides or rear, or red in the front, however, you may be stopped. It's usually only the inspectors, if you have them, that actually look.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Depends; if the lights are the correct color for the location, most won't bother you. If you put blue lights on the sides or rear, or red in the front, however, you may be stopped. It's usually only the inspectors, if you have them, that actually look.
Right, that's the colors can't be the colors of emergency vehicles except for red on the back. So no white or blue on the back, no red or blue on the front or sides.

I just called the inspection place and basically the lights on the bags are fine as long as the stock stop light and signal lights are intact and functioning.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts