Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...y-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60678.html#

I own a 3 ton HF jack and this one is better in so many ways. First, the clearance is just as low as the wheels for quite a way under the jack. This lets the user get far underneath the car to find solid places to jack. The geometry of the arc of the jack makes it raise almost straight up, so the jack needs not move so much as the car is being jacked up. This can be a good benefit if your concrete floor is rough and the jack does not want to roll with the raising of the car. Then there is the height of the lift at 23'--very nice.

There is always criticism of 'My jack will not work" on Harbor freight stuff. i thought I had a seal weeping as the jack would not hold my car up for extended periods. I added some jack oil and bled the sucker [easy job] and it held within 1/16 " for eight hours. Just a case of reading the damn manual. The handle has a tee for pulling the jack around, a small foot quick rise [hand] pedal for placing the jack while sighting under the car, and probably the best feature of all, a little dial to release the pressure slowly [as long as your jack is well bled and full of oil] when you let the car down.
The handle jacks pretty quickly per stroke without being as long as their other jacks. I cannot understand this as the thing takes less effort than my shorter stroke per pump 3 ton model.
This beast is very heavy and you may be tempted to buy a cheaper HF jack that is rated higher in lift capacity. I paid 139.00 for it and cannot remember these units being deeply discounted like the other jacks they sell. The 20% off coupons are not accepted for jacks and toolboxes, so that is a bummer.

I would buy this one again. Just a note for floor jack users. jacks are a little like motorcycles. The seals can dry out and the cylinders can pit in wet environments. Not a big deal to run a lightly used jack through a few cycles a month just to keep the seals functioning.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Slum, this is really a timely product review for me, so thank you for taking the time to share your report. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A couple of years ago, someone decided they liked my fairly expensive, low profile floor jack so much that they relieved me of it when I wasn't around. I only have occasional use for one now so have put off replacing it, but at this price I am sorely tempted.

This is one of the neat things about this forum, getting sound reviews from those who actually use a product. ;)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are so kind. Just be sure that you test the jack out by placing a car on it and something that will crush with about an eighth inch gap. I used a yogurt cup. HFT gives a bring it back guarantee with original receipt that is good for thirty days on most items. Some items, like fiber optic cameras that are likely to be used once and returned are the exception to that rule. You have to pay a restock on something like that.

Another caution is repair parts might not be available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts