Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject: Fwd: Lesson learned.....Happy New Year

With New Years close upon us, I would like to share a personal experience

with my friends and family about drinking and driving.
As you know, some of us have been known
to have brushes with the authorities from time to time,
often on the way home after a "social session"
with family or friends.

Well, two days ago, this happened to
me. I was out for an evening with friends and had more than
several beers followed by a couple of bottles of rather nice
red wine . Although relaxed, I still had the common sense to
know I was slightly over the limit. That's when I did something

I've never done before - I took a taxi home.

Sure enough on the way there was a police roadblock, but since it
was a taxi they waved it past and I arrived home safely
without incident.

This was a real surprise to me, because I had never driven a taxi
before. I don't know where I got it, and now that
it's in my garage I don't know what to do with
it.. So, anyway, if you want to borrow it give me a
call. Happy New Year and be safe out there…

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Ace Tuner
2,939 Posts
So the lesson is, steal a taxi when drunk. :smiley_drinkcoffee: Ohhh-Kay, sounds like a good idea, will do. ;)
Happy New Year All. :biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
The funniest drunk driving advice I have heard. Not the best, as I have had two DWIs(over twenty years ago) it wasn't until just over ten years ago that I swore to not do that again, yes that means I did continue without getting caught. Now I take it home or have no more than two before driving home. I will never ride after drinking and hope no one else does either. Riding is dangerous enough without that. Now I will step down off the soapbox.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
The funniest drunk driving advice I have heard. Not the best, as I have had two DWIs(over twenty years ago) it wasn't until just over ten years ago that I swore to not do that again, yes that means I did continue without getting caught. Now I take it home or have no more than two before driving home. I will never ride after drinking and hope no one else does either. Riding is dangerous enough without that. Now I will step down off the soapbox.
As a rule of thumb, I will not drive if I've had ANY alcohol in the last 2 hours. And even then, if I do drink, I space it out. No more than a single drink per hour ( some exceptions have been made when I'm not driving, but I rarely drink more than 1 per hour, regardless ).

Generally, it's understood that for most people, a single serving of alcohol ( one beer or 1 shot ) is gone in 1 hour. So by spacing my drinks to 1 per hour, and not driving until 2 hours after the last one, I know for certain I am not intoxicated.

Also, I typically do whatever I can to not have to drive at ALL if I'm drinking, and if I'm expected to drive anyone but just myself, I almost always abstain entirely. I won't risk someone else's safety on my watch. And I'm well past the period of my life where I "have" to drink. Sure, it's not as fun to be stone sober ( especially since I'm already naturally introverted, and not especially comfortable around certain kinds of crowds while sober ), but it's a lot more fun than being toe-tagged.

Also, under ZERO circumstances will I straddle with ANY alcohol, in a given night. That's just all kinds of "hell no".

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
LOL! Happy New Year to you!

Many years ago, after drinking quite a bit, we decided to try to steal a Huey helicopter. Luckily we couldn't get it to start.:biggrin:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
LOL, Happy New Year!
Back in "high" school we built a three wheeler from a bunch of tube steel and misc parts over a weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts