Motorcycle Forum banner

Hanging off on a standard

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  MFI 
#1 ·
When I used to head out on Sunday mornings through the Texas Hill Country with a group of sport bike riders I developed a technique of hanging off the bike more and leaning it less. By doing this I found it kept the tires from skipping and sliding so much over bumps and patches in the pavement, thus the chassis remained more stable. If the turn tightened and opened up I would lever the bike under myself to compensate, if that makes sense. This was more work physically than traditional methods, especially in fast transitions, but it felt safer.
Of course a good closed curcuit is smooth and this probably doesn't apply.

Has anyone else done that?
Pic is closest I could find but I would come off even more while keeping the knee a few inches off the rural pavement.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Vehicle Motorcycling

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends who you talk to.
Most of my previous posts have said there are many ways to ride a bike. There are a few members here that claim there is only one way to ride, and that is their way. They are wrong.
Different bikes respond to different styles of input. Depends on bike weight, bike fit for the rider, rake and trail of the forks, weight of the bike, bar width and placement, quality of the suspension, whether it is top heavy or not, and a bunch of other stuff.
The wrong crowd, and others, often accused some riders of bad style, ability and form. One of the accused was Mike Hailwood. There was another Italian whose name escapes me for now, who really looked awkward on a bike. yet he was a world champion. Sometimes, as in most times, it does not matter what style you use, as long as you get around the corner with some degree of efficiency, and at the track, faster than the other guy. You can have perfect style and be slow, crappy style and be fast. Most often it is a safety mechanism in our brains that prevents us from going faster.
When that safety mechanism overrides everything else, you will be slow, until experience allows you to override that function. Ride anyway you like, it is okay with me. UK

#6 ·
Of course a good closed curcuit is smooth and this probably doesn't apply.
Back when Texas World Speedway was still in operation it was so rough that we used to say it was kinda like we were asphalt motocross racin...
Never saw a single rider that didn't hang off in the corners except when up on the high banks of the stock car oval part of the road course. Then I'd still shift a little body weight (tucked in) to the inside.
To this day I have to put at least a little of my weight to the inside if I'm carrying any speed at all in a corner or I feel like I'm not in total control, bumps, rain or whatever.

S F

#7 ·
On local fast sweepers that I was familiar with I would do the road racer hang off lean to the edge of the tire but not on countryside rides.

IMO a motorcycle's suspension becomes redundant in mid-corner leaned to 10/10s because shocks, swingarms, and forks cannot compress and move due to the angle. In fact there was the introduction of tuned flex into sport bikes preciously due to that issue. On a billiard table smooth road course there are no potholes and dips for the bike and rider. I think riding GP style on mountain roads is one of the things that have killed riders. Just my observation fwiw. Comments welcome.

#11 ·
It seems like you have answered your own question above. You said that when you hang off the bike you lean it less and the tires don't skip or slide much, plus you leave yourself some available lean angle in case you need it. Would you rather have that added traction or not?

It's not always needed when regular riding (vs track days or racing) and you say it is extra work which can get tiring when out for a regular ride. Are there riding techniques that could help with getting those transitions done easier and with less effort? Is there an in-between style that still allows you to lean the bike less but doesn't require as much work?

#12 ·
On my Island there is a right to left bend before an uphill climb. The right hand is signed at 40 K and fairly smooth, tightens a bit on exit. The approach to the left hander is bumpy before during and a bit after the corner. Anyone that rides an average bike, and then a decent sport bike, will soon find out that the sport bike goes around these corners faster and with less effort. Suspension is a major factor for going faster in nearly every part of riding. Which includes corners where it does a lot of work. 70 to 75 on the older XS11, 80 to 85 on the newer Suzuki. Same rider. I can give you the title of a good suspension book. Should mention that frame and swing arm flexing, was a major part of the JA Pan and Company bikes of the seventies. They were still Flexy Flyers in the early eighties when the frames started getting better. UK

#15 ·
Suspension works in corners. It is proven. It is written. And I say so.
These days they work on flex in the frames, When you put 200 plus hp into a frame for giddy up, and three carbon discs for stopping, add it the finest suspension, and actually go fast, things happen that may not be obvious to a weekend warrior. Suspension is also a factor for climbing steep hills off road. Losing weight and getting good suspension, all with a good frame and brakes, will win more races than other bikes with a bunch more power, that did not pay attention to the others stuff. UK

#16 ·
Well even on my big ol Yammie I shift my weight to the inside of the corner. No way I can hang off of it unless I have lost control of it and then I think I would probably hanging on and hoping................

#18 ·
If Talega Hwy is a public road as I suspect it is, then weekend warriors jumping off does not prove or disprove anything.
Full racer lean, which I doubt for weekend warriors, is not a safe way to ride on the public highways. When the WW tries to be weekend racer on a public road, Clyde the Slide often emerges. WWs are fast in their dreams, and are generally quite slow when they go to the track. Track days can provide good stories about how fast you went. An actual race against the fast guys proves otherwise. BUT, the rookie WWs are usually separated from the fast guys, as they are a danger to themselves and others. I recall I agreed in general with your opening post, but if you write misleading info, I will oppose it. UK

#20 ·
This is why I'll probably do my Twisted Sisters ride on a weekday. To avoid these kinds of riders flying up behind me. I'm going to be cruising it and enjoying it, not setting a new lap record. FYI, your welcome to ride however you wish.

#26 ·
I do keep an eye out for someone coming up behind. Bikes and cars. I'll wave them around. Sometimes I'll get over to the right, wave the car around, but they won't go and they'll stay behind flashing lights at me. At that point they can just wait on me. I actually had one do this on my last ride. Whoever it was held a whole line of cars behind them

#27 ·
People don't know how to pass correctly anymore. Its really annoying. I devoured automobile magazines back before the internet and read about driving on the Autobahn and was also into endurance sports car racing where multiple classes raced at the same time. Seems like passing in the US today consist of tailgating. :mad:

#31 ·
Rider clearly has skills but is definitely tempting fate...
If he lives long enough he'll learn the value of full leathers... The hard way, like I did.
Wearing nothing but a sheet for a few weeks will learn a guy, yes it will.

S F

Reactions: Doc Samson
#32 ·
When i was young..and crazy ..i would hang off my 79 cb750SS...i would even practice in the rain..got the rear to just start sliding..
Did it with my RZ350 after that as well..it was fun and let me scoot around corners pretty well..did get into a tank slapper once going arpund a fast sweeping turn though.
Probably maxed out the suspension

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.