Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bikes, Guns and Video Games - Ain't life grand?
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - been awhile since I posted here but I just recently dusted of the Harley and started riding again and thought of this place.

My bike's an '08 cross bones (FLSTSB) that's been sitting for a year or more in my garage prior to getting it back out recently.

I've noticed that on occasion, my hands have been going numb while riding. I don't remember this happening before.

When I let off of the handle bars or if I loosen my hold and decelerate, my handlebars start wobbling slowly but in very short time (maybe 3-10 seconds) it's warbling back and forth and if I don't get it under control, I'm going to lose control.

I was looking at my front wheel while riding at speed and it seems to be bouncing around quite a bit on a smooth road. Both up and down and it seemed to be a little bit back and forth also.

Is it possible my front (laced) wheel is out of balance and/or out of true and that's causing my numbness? I don't even know if laced (a/k/a a wheel with spokes) motorcycle wheels can "go out of true" like a bicycle wheel can.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Could be something as simple as wheel balance, or it could be the tire, I'd guess the tire since its been sitting over a year.

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
Probably a flat spotted tire. Chances are they are well past their recommended life of 5 years old anyway. I'd just change them out to be on the safe side. I had two stock trailer tires separate yesterday taking a steer to the butcher. Yep, they were old. The hands going numb is probably due to a death grip on the bars since you've been off it for awhile. New tires and relaxing will most likely solve that.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Yes, laced wheels can get out of true. If you can raise the front end and rotate the wheel you can check for true by clamping an object like a pencil to the fork leg so the point is right at the rim of the wheel. (A dial indicator works best if you have one.) Rotate the wheel slowly and see if the edge of the rim moves closer or further away from the point in a side to side manner. That's your lateral run-out. You'll have to look up what's allowed for that specific wheel but generally it's about .040". Next see if the edge of the rim moves out from the point and back towards it. That's your radial run-out and should also be no more then .040".

You'll also want to balance the wheel, as was pointed out, and check it for a flat spot.

If all that checks out okay one other thing specific to your bike is the spherical bearings in the rocker arm. It would be kind of odd but I suppose they could need to be adjusted just from sitting. They can effect your front end suspension travel and wouldn't cause the wheel to bounce, but I suppose could make it easier for the wheel to move if it was already out of balance or something.

·
10,763 Posts
Numb hands happen to me on most bikes. I have to wear loves with gel in the palm to make sure I do not have to deal with it. The wobble is another issue. I would take the previous advice and get it checked out.

·
Bikes, Guns and Video Games - Ain't life grand?
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the advice and feedback everyone!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
The only bike my hands ever went numb on was a Concours, it had braided steel brake lines and clutch line. The vibration from the brake side was so severe that my hand would go numb in only a few miles of highway. The brake lines were mounted at the frame right at the engine, when I loosened them there and put rubber between them and the frame, the vibration was gone and so was the numbness.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hey all - been awhile since I posted here but I just recently dusted of the Harley and started riding again and thought of this place.

My bike's an '08 cross bones (FLSTSB) that's been sitting for a year or more in my garage prior to getting it back out recently.

I've noticed that on occasion, my hands have been going numb while riding. I don't remember this happening before.

When I let off of the handle bars or if I loosen my hold and decelerate, my handlebars start wobbling slowly but in very short time (maybe 3-10 seconds) it's warbling back and forth and if I don't get it under control, I'm going to lose control.

I was looking at my front wheel while riding at speed and it seems to be bouncing around quite a bit on a smooth road. Both up and down and it seemed to be a little bit back and forth also.

Is it possible my front (laced) wheel is out of balance and/or out of true and that's causing my numbness? I don't even know if laced (a/k/a a wheel with spokes) motorcycle wheels can "go out of true" like a bicycle wheel can.

What do y'all think?
Most often you can cure a tank slapper with proper adjustment of the steering head torque. That does not mean the wheel is not initiating the oscillation but so called fall away specs are important too. I had an almost new HD with cast wheels do it to me at around 35 MPH. I was under warranty at the time and the dealer adjusted the steering head to spec to make it stop. I rode that bike another 12000 miles and never had a bit of trouble after that, in terms of oscillations.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It could be two different things coinciding.
I do not have any vibration problems, but the older I get, the more my hands go numb while riding.
Ok I do have bad circulation, and Im cold at the best of times.
I have to waggle my fingers, and even mid summer, I can take my gloves off, and the base of my nails will be blue.
Gas Station Coffee, might not always taste good, but it always warms the hands.
Take Care Out There.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
^^^ I know a woman that has a similar thing happen, even in warm weather. Her hands get numb easily and they often feel like they are very cold. The base of her nails turns blue, and her fingers get yellow and red and splotchy sometimes and look like they are almost frozen. It's an actual condition which she said was "Reynaud's" or "Reynold's" condition. I forgot which it's called, but it's an actual medical thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried sending a direct message.

What do y'all think?
Hello,
I tried sending a direct message, but need to have 15 post to do so.
I know this post is old so let me apologize in advance if I ruffle any feathers, but I have the same exact problem with my 09 cross bones and would like to know what was the actual cause of the wobble. If you ever figured it out.
Thanks
Oh! I have new Michelin tires front and back installed by dealership, wobble happens at any speed and starts off mild and graduates to violent. After riding over 30 min my hands go numb. Bike was purchased used after tire installation so I don't know if the issue was there before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Balancing beeds that go in the tire might help. I would definitely check the wheel bearings. With the wheel off the ground you can hold something on the fork next to the rim, spin the wheel and eyeball if it's out of true. You can also get wobble if the neck bearings need adjusted.

C

·
0 Posts
^^^ I know a woman that has a similar thing happen, even in warm weather. Her hands get numb easily and they often feel like they are very cold. The base of her nails turns blue, and her fingers get yellow and red and splotchy sometimes and look like they are almost frozen. It's an actual condition which she said was "Reynaud's" or "Reynold's" condition. I forgot which it's called, but it's an actual medical thing.
That is the one. Normal body reaction to cold and vibration would be to open the vessels and arteries to increase blood flow, With Reynaud's the vessels actually do the opposite and contract reducing the blood flow to the extremities first, hands and feet. The red splotchyness comes from the lack of blood. In the early stages it usually takes the cold or high frequency vibrations to induce it. Later, it just starts on it own. Hands fingers, feet and toes will start getting the feeling of going to sleep from the lack of blood flow. Eventually it will result in what I call ghost pains. Lots of nerve pain, with no apparent reason. Very little can be done about it, just make sure you keep your extremities as warm as possible and keep movement going as much as possible, forced blood flow does help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts