Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a windshield and I really don't like the look but everyone says my ride will be better with one so I'm looking for as small of one as I can get and still get some use out of, nor do I want to spend a great deal on something I really don't want but probably need. Then I checked some bike stores and I ran into the problem of having riding lights that are in the way so I started looking at handlebar mounts and I've kind of settled into the Memphis Shades shooter that retails for like 170 out the door. Anyone have this? Do you like it? Any others that fit my bill that I should look at?

Anyone know where I can find it cheaper than the 170? I found one on Amazon for like 120 but I asked them a very specific question, does it include the mount or is it just the replacement and does it fit my C50, and their response was do I still need help. So that was irritating.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Why get something you don't what because others say you need it? There's millions of bikes out there without windshields. If you really don't want it, don't get it!!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
the Shooter is all over Ebay for $160 (give or take a bit) with the mounting hardware....on Amazon I found the windshields anywhere from $60 to $85, don't know if the mounting hardware comes with it, but you can get the mounting stuff there also between $80 and $100....the mounts are what will cost the most

I do agree with Zippy though, if you really don't want one, don't get one....you can always get a wrap around mask to keep bugs out of your mouth, riding glasses to help with the wind in your eyes....it's not really cheap enough to buy a windshield, install it then decide you don't want one....one option would be take a ride out to Donnells, Dells Honda or any other places that sells used bikes and take test rides on bikes that have a windshield and see if you can tell the difference in how the wind feels

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly really dont want one but that is for cosmetic reasons but the idea of a more comfortable ride with less bugs hitting me and not feeling like a parachute at 70 plus seems appealing.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Donnells has an '08 Suzuki Boulevard for sale used (my old bike, I traded it in 2 years ago and it's back lol) go take it for a "test" ride to see the difference that a windshield will make....but like I said before, there are alternatives available to a windshield also

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I honestly really dont want one but that is for cosmetic reasons but the idea of a more comfortable ride with less bugs hitting me and not feeling like a parachute at 70 plus seems appealing.
Like others in here, who can attest to the same thing........I have ridden a bike without a windshield, and WITH one.

The advantage of wind blocking is definitely there, and the occasional rock or bug that misses my chest and face is a plus.

The ride with or without a windshield however, still requires stamina, endurance and strength. It's just that the windshield takes about 30% (if I had to put a number on it that may or may not be valid) of the hassle out of the equation (imho).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
I think your number is way low soupy unless you mean it takes about 30% of the strength you would use without a windshield. All the bikes I've had with one I've had near dead air behind it.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I don't know Hog, I still get a lot of wind in my face....it hits my legs and comes up from there....I don't have any problems with it coming over the top of the windshield though, and what does come up from below is less than I would have without the windshield

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
You are right Goliath, wind does start coming from under one but that too can in a lot of cases be tamed to very little or none. On my bike they are laughingly called fangs. Wind deflectors on the forks that all but stop that under the fairing wind. They supposedly work on regular windshields too. So getting near zero wind behind one is possible. You just may not like what it takes to do it and I totally understand that.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I tried the lowers on my old Suzuki (Memphis Shades Fats windshield and the lowers that go with them) and it wasn't all that much different....of course I'm fat enough that the windshield acted less like a sail than I did lol.....I'm in shape...round is still a shape isn't it?

the wind I get from under the shield is negligible, I just wanted to put it out there....

here's the link to my old bike, it had 13K on it when I traded it in back in May or June of 2012...I added the windshield, lowers and the backrest/rear rack to the bike

http://www.donnellsmotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=54118&pov=3705201

·
All I remember is Dirt Sky Dirt Ambulance....
640 Posts
Around town is not as much a deal, but when I get on the road, I won't be without a windshield. Period. Don't care for the way they look, but I don't care. I'm not out there for anyone else, and my motorcycling experience is what I want to maximize.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Slipstreamer Tombstone

When I had the "naked" bike, the best investment I made (other than the Mustang seat) was the aftermarket windscreen I bought. It was about 18 inches by 10 inches (that's a guess since I no longer have it).
Riding in the cold weather was brutal without the screen.

However, the screen came off in May and stayed off until October, unless I was riding at night or in the rain.
It is far too hot in Virginia and the wind is essential to staying cool (especially with all the heat coming off the air cooled Harley engine).

Even now, I put the smallest screen on my current bike in the summer and only use the large screen during the cold months.
I love the feeling of being a little kid screamin down a hill on your bicycle with the wind whipping you in the face -- of course, I wear a full face helmet! :biggrin:

Night time year round got the windscreen on my Harley -- you only need a helmet covered in bugs once to learn that lesson.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts