Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this starts yesterday, upon spraying a bit too much WD40 on my kickstand. Not really noticing, I go about my business, and today come to a bride in my town, which goes up to allow large boats under. Stuck at the barrier, I put my stand down and talk to a friend also waiting. Barrier goes up, I forget about my kickstand, and due to the WD40 dousing, the sensor doesn't shut off the engine (I assume so anyway, I have no other explanation). Hundreds of people, and I hit the side stand on a manhole cover, and after a bit of a struggle, down I go! I'm fine and the bike only has a scratch, but my pride is demolished. I've been riding for 3 years as an all year rider and this is my second drop. As you can imagine, my pride is in tatters, and the whole thing just keeps replaying in my head.:mad:
Moral of the story, technology is no match for even a split second of poor concentration!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
So, this starts yesterday, upon spraying a bit too much WD40 on my kickstand. Not really noticing, I go about my business, and today come to a bride in my town, which goes up to allow large boats under. Stuck at the barrier, I put my stand down and talk to a friend also waiting. Barrier goes up, I forget about my kickstand, and due to the WD40 dousing, the sensor doesn't shut off the engine (I assume so anyway, I have no other explanation). Hundreds of people, and I hit the side stand on a manhole cover, and after a bit of a struggle, down I go! I'm fine and the bike only has a scratch, but my pride is demolished. I've been riding for 3 years as an all year rider and this is my second drop. As you can imagine, my pride is in tatters, and the whole thing just keeps replaying in my head.:mad:
Moral of the story, technology is no match for even a split second of poor concentration!
Take it easy there idiotlad. A drop at zero speed is no occasion for embarrassment. Just pick the bike up and go on about your business. Sh!t happens and you need to learn to shrug it off, almost all of us have been there and done that.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yeah ... STUPID gets us all occasionally.
hopefully not too often, though.

it's NO SWEAT if you are OK and bike is undamaged.
seriously, man. that is just a non-issue.
forget pride - you learned a basic lesson without losing a drop of blood.
it doesn't get any better than that.

let them LAUGH all they want .. few of them will ever ride 2 wheels.
you just lived to be a smarter and better RIDER!!!
that's a great day, brother :)

dT

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
I've forgotten the sidestand before... as in forgetting to put it down before getting off the bike! Well, started to get off, and the bike kept going down...

Yes, it is embarrassing doing so in front of strangers. Even more so when you do it in front of your friends >_<

·
Noob Rider
125 Posts
I forgot the kickstand when looking at bikes at a dealer a couple months ago...cbr500. I go to put the bike back and the damn thing just went straight down. bike was ok and I just got a small cut-and a bruised ego. luckily I didn't knock the surrounding bikes over since they were all parked pretty close together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, good to know there are some much wiser riders who have a blip on occasion as well, thank you for sharing, feel a lot better!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
On yesterday's ride I missed a gear on a left turn uphill grade and stalled out the bike. Shut down completely (in traffic, mind you).

Didn't I feel like "the fool" with the President of my company directly behind me!!!

We laughed it off together, and I felt about knee high to a Gnat..............but life goes on!!!

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
At a crowded motorcycle pit stop I forgot my side stand on my first street bike. Luckily it had one of those oversized crash bars that caught it before it went all the way over. However it didn't prevent the crowd that saw it happen from cheering. I think I embarrassed my buddies, but I felt obliged to take a bow to all my adoring fans.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I look at life like this and chalk it up to "ay,better I get it done and over like this" They say every rider drops their bike atleast once. You just got it done and out of the way!! The reason people probably laugh, is because they've been there and done that!!

I hate stalling in public, while people are watching. Oh well, live, love, laugh....

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
My worst ego bruising wasn't on a motorcycle but a racing recumbent bicycle. I forgot to unclip my toe clips.

I fell over at a dead stop at a stop sign right in front of a park bench full of teenagers. A real Artie Johnson.

They were hysterical.

One of them asked if I could do it again.

"Only if you'll drive me to the hospital afterwards"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why is there a manhole cover on a draw bridge?

And don't they put them things down flush with the road?
The manhole cover was short of the bridge itself, and, round here at least, they're slightly embedded in the road, and generally have a lip round the edge, enough for a side stand to get caught on in a lean. Yay for local government! The town also benefits from some lovely tram tracks on the roads that haven't been used for years, which cause problems for the push bikes and small motorbikes of the area.

Thanks everyone for sharing your, ummm, "mishaps". A few of them certainly bought a much needed smile to my face. :coffeescreen:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
Yeah, just laugh it off as a relatively painless lesson. I forgot to put my stand down once at a busy gas station while living in a small town. Pulled up to the pump and my bike fell ever so slowly to the ground with me straddling it. (in a small town, everyone will find out soon enough)

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Laugh it off man... I havent fallen in the view of the general public yet (thank god, knock on wood) but when I was learning to ride when I mounted my 84 Honda Shadow I tipped over...TWICE!!!

I also have dropped my brothers ZX-6R when he wasnt home about a year back...shhhh ;)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Snap! Sunday ride, came up to a light controlled cross roads, stopped and put my left foot down on top of some gravel, my foot shot out sideways and the bike slowly toppled over. Had the other half on the back, and while she stepped safely off the bike she wasn't too impressed.

The car behind me was an unmarked Police car with two cops in it, they jumped out and helped me lift the bike up. One was a bike rider himself and laughed it off as he'd done it too.

Think it was my second lay down while stopped or at slow speed in 6 years of riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted about this in another forum but I was waiting inside the Harley dealership for the start of the Fallen Officer ride and a guy walks over and starts up a brand new Street Glide. There were a reported 6000 riders for this event so the dealership was crowded. After the bike runs for a minute the guy climbs on and pops the clutch, stalling the bike and knocking the bike next to it over. In all, four bikes went over with one getting a pretty good scratch in the fairing and a dented front fender. I still don't know why the dealer was going to let someone ride a bike off the showroom floor when it was that crowded. At least no one was hurt. The bike ended up being walked out of the building.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chances are good it was a salesman taking it out to let a potential buyer ride it. I know that is what they do at my local HD dealer. If I spot something I want to test ride I let a salesman know and he gets it outside and ready for me to ride. Of course there is also paperwork involved before they give me the keys, things like a photocopy of my class M license and a liability waiver that I must sign.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts