Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My bike is a 2021 ZX10R. Last year I didn't ride for 6 months and kept it in my apartment (yes, my living room). Then I road it to a storage facility where it sat for another 3 months. Unfortunately this was all with the same gas and I did nothing to stabilize the gas. Today the gas smelled fine but I decided to siphon the tank and put new gas in to be safe. After I emptied the tank I noticed this residue was left which looks a bit different than other examples I've seen in older bikes that have set for years (I haven't put the new gas in yet).

I've been told that new gas can flush out gunk like this from the fuel system, so my question is should I remove the tank and clean the tank thoroughly or would it be fine to just put in new gas and run it?

Thanks guys.

Automotive tire Flash photography Automotive lighting Automotive design Camera lens

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
odd, is it hard or soft? Looks like shavings from those red plastic gas cans. Have you ever poured gas in from one of those cans?

Reactions: bweighmaster

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
odd, is it hard or soft? Looks like shavings from those red plastic gas cans. Have you ever poured gas in from one of those cans?
I haven't. The only exposure to a plastic gas can is before I took this photo and I siphoned the gas out into a brand new can with a brand new siphon. I suppose regardless of what it is, it's probably a good idea to remove the tank and clean it out right?

· Registered
2020 Shelby GT350
76 Posts
Ah, I believe I've deduced what happened. It's shavings from the siphon hose from when I pulled it out of the tank and it got caught on the edges inside.
That's what I was thinking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts