Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or the wrong gear in my head, or a senior moment, or brain fart. When I make a technical riding error, I think about it and make a plan to avoid it in the future.
So there I was, leading a bunch of bikes off the ferry. On the freeway approach, easy corners, four lanes divided. Doing about 145 kph which is about 90 I think. Keeping up with the big BMW behind me. Arm signaled to go in to the right hand lane. Approaching a cage ahead, about to enter a sweeping left hand bend. Signaled with my left hand / arm to change lanes, after checking behind. Made an initial left turn to pass, but forgot to add the extra bit of lefting for the corner. Found myself going back towards the side of the cage. Oh darn. I added some brakes to the program and told Bluzu to go more to the left.

As always, later I was thinking, how did I manage to make that small guidance error.
A bit of tiredness from getting up at 0628, lovely warm sunny day and day dreaming, a new rear tyre, but probably my brain was in gear for riding at a slower pace. I failed to turn up the receptors, and start planning for the higher speed.
A bit like Lorenzo last weekend. World class rider crashed on the first corner.

No seniors or bikes were harmed during my ride. The BMW was comfortable up to about 145. I find this typical for most riders.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
So there I was, leading a bunch of bikes off the ferry. On the freeway approach, easy corners, four lanes divided. Doing about 145 kph which is about 90 I think. Keeping up with the big BMW behind me. ...
Please explain how you keep up with someone that is behind you. Would that be more like you were being pushed by the guy behind you? Statement is confusing to me. Maybe I'm somehow reading out of context or English translation thing.:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please explain how you keep up with someone that is behind you. Would that be more like you were being pushed by the guy behind you? Statement is confusing to me. Maybe I'm somehow reading out of context or English translation thing.:confused:
Correct grammar would be, to stay in front of the bike behind me.
Usually I am long gone when a herd of bikes leaves the ferry. This was the case last Thursday. But with a series of 3 or 4 traffic lights, all red, one bike pulled in behind me. I did not know how fast he had been riding, so I slowly increased my speed to find his comfort zone. Most often with most riders, it is around 90 mph. My bike shows 145 kph and is about 5 over actual. I slowed to about 130 in my story above. It is not a very interesting story, no real drama, no injuries to rider or bike. But I thought I would recount it anyway.
Probably be raining for my trip home. That could be more interesting.

UK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts