Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 6 or 7 weeks out of surgery and pushing myself as hard as possible, I took my first ride today. 82 miles and I'm beat to death! Doc says one more week in the boot but I said, you ain't a motorcyclist, I'm riding. Man it was nice having the road zip by. Was 53º but I said I'm going. But great. Just in time for the real cold.

Any of you that know about me though know I ride year round. Just time to get the electric gear out while the rest of you put your bikes to bed. I simply could not live where I had to do that. Missouri was bad enough! Where I am in Texas, I'm good for all but two or three weeks but it's darn cold doing it.

I'm going to bed and crash now thank you very much.:D Think I'll ride the bike to the doc's next week and see if he' says it's okay to start walking without the boot.:p

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Good for you!!! So, you must be healing and feeling better. I hope this surgery will be the last that you need.

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do I MONI. The physical therapists say I'm pushing too hard but after 2 1/2 years of this pain, I'm enjoying the different pain and going for the gusto. I really did trade one pain for a different one but this one doesn't seem to be as bad. I still can't get my motorcycle boots zipped up but that was true last year with the bone graft. Took months before I could.

Okay, I lied. I didn't go to bed. I'm still having a ride glow going on and catching up on the forum.:D

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
dang...you and my dad....2 of a kind...he rode with a cast on from his hip to his toes and the crutches strapped to the back of the bike to his Dr. appointments lol

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Awesome, but don't over do it I'm still looking forward to coming down there and riding with your old arse. ;)
And maybe sharing a brew or a few with y'all.

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some day ODE. We'll hook up at some point I'm sure. Now about the ride and the next day, man was I sore. Neck, arms and crotch. That last bugged me but my guess is I had a death grip on the tank. Arms and neck especially I understood. Or maybe it was the 8 hours of tractor work getting ready for winter??? Mother nature doesn't care how banged up you are. She does her thing no matter what!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Glad that you are back in the saddle. As others say though, take it easy so you can enjoy even more days riding. But enjoy it!!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
hey...we wanna see a pic of you riding with that big boot on...at least I do...then I'll have a pic of 2 people doing it, the one I have of my dad is when he got his smaller cast (just below the knee) and you can see his cane on the back of the bike across the seat....

this is from back in the late '70's on a ride to St. Louis MO., he's sitting a little back on the seat to stretch his legs....the "bar" you see sticking out behind him there...that's his cane

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
First off Hogcowboy, congrats on your ride! Glad to see your tenacity!!

You said, "I ride year round. Just time to get the electric gear out while the rest of you put your bikes to bed."

There ARE those of us of course, who ride in the cold, WITHOUT "electric" anything!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news, just don't overdue it.
Thanks but not being in excruciating pain for any length of time in 2 1/2 years I guess I am and will be as far as everyone else is concerned. I just feel like I got to do everything I can while I'm not in pain because it seems to always come back within weeks with past surgeries as my only example. But hey, I get to take the boot off this week!!! Physical therapist realized last Friday that my foot was frozen in place.Only the ankle was moving.

He worked on freeing up all those little bones that decided to lock in place since I had been walking flat footed for all this time due to the pain. And I do mean he worked. Complete with sweat pouring off him. Now that made me sore. All of a sudden those hamstring exercises I could feel. I kept telling them in the previous years and now that I never felt a thing. You would have thought a light bulb would have gone off back then but no. That's what happens when you live in the sticks. You get all the rejects from everywhere else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts